Looking for successful DIY paint jobs. Anyone? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for successful DIY paint jobs. Anyone?

As some of you may have seen the board im referring to is what I think to be a 2007 NS Premier T5. I finished the swallowtail cutout and have sanded down the beat to shit old topsheet. I am not looking for a flashy paint job. Just going to go flat black and maybe a sticker or two.

I have read a lot about people using automotive paints/primers/sealers, but with little success regarding durability. I am not expecting factory durability but maybe make it through a season or two without it getting totally destroyed.

I came across VHT Epoxy spray paint. It seems to be mostly geared toward high temp applications and supposedly is very durable. Has anyone here used the product? Anyone here vouch for how well it holds up in cold temperatures or with regard to flex? Here is the product Im asking about...

VHT Epoxy All Weather Paint

If noone here has tried it I will be the guinnea pig. Only 8 bucks a can and I can strip it down if it really sucks. Or just leave it as is for that freshly worn out look!
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
I foxed my RocketBox on top of my car with epoxy, there was a giant crack right down the middle, and I patched it up, worked amazingly. BUT! After it hardned there was no way i could "flex" it at all, it was literally a rock. Get what I'm saying? A board needs flex no matter what conditions. Epoxy will make a board very, very, very inflexible. If you still want to do this, I'm curious about maybe using a super soft SUPER soft board, and expoxying it to make it an all mtn??? maybe.
So you used the Vht spray epoxy paint I linked? I still have the cutout from the swallowtail. Might have to experiment with that.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

How about something like truck bed liner spray?

I bet that would stick and flex and be durable and kind of cool.

edit: something in the smokey crevasses of my memory says I should credit ETT for this

Last edited by snowklinger; 07-18-2013 at 07:18 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
no i didnt use the spray i used loctite epoxy. Actually now that I think about it, the spray might work! but a very thin spray. Also the truck bet liner idea might work... so many damn possibilities.
That too crossed my mind!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

spray painted a bunch of boards, with a good prep job (sanded with eighty grit) i have been happy with krylon/rustoleum spray paint. Paint jobs have held up for ten years. Its all about the prep. If you want a thicker tougher paint look for engine paint, or bbq paint. Sprays a little thicker. Its all about the prep.

Epoxy paint is much different than epoxy glue. But still not necessary for a board.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
spray painted a bunch of boards, with a good prep job (sanded with eighty grit) i have been happy with krylon/rustoleum spray paint. Paint jobs have held up for ten years. Its all about the prep. If you want a thicker tougher paint look for engine paint, or bbq paint. Sprays a little thicker. Its all about the prep.

Epoxy paint is much different than epoxy glue. But still not necessary for a board.
Good to know. Are there cons that you know of to using epoxy? I have topsheet stripped using 60 grit.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Speak to someone who is actually a painter, preferably someone who works for someone like Renault or Smart.

I say this for a reason, the front wings on some renaults are actually plastic, as are most body panels on a smart car, and they are designed, with paint to flex without cracking, so if you could come across the paint you use for those cars, you may have some luck, i have seen smart panels bend a considerable way about 45% without any marking to the paint at all, so this may be a suitable solution...

As i'm not a painter i know nothing about how it works, but i have been told it is not the same paint you use on cars normally...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The main issue is the paint adhering to the plastic top sheet. I never used primer, but the do sell primers the are designed to work with plastic. My guess is that epoxy paint is more brittle than other types. None of my paint had cracked or flaked due to flexing.

This is just an old snowboard, don't over think things, it you dont like how it turned out, sand it down and redo it.