Board for my Daughter generic questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Board for my Daughter generic questions

Hey guys, yes I know another board thread.
Her Specs:
  • Height 5'5""
  • Weight 105lbs
  • 3 times riding

I taught my daughter to ride late last season, we got out 3 times and she did very well. She wants to ride more this season, as usual we will be getting a season pass to our local hill and she will be going with the school ski club.
She had dreams of riding some park, very beginner boxes and rollers but who knows how fast if at all she may progress in the park.

Great father daughter time regardless of where we ride.

Can anyone recommend a few boards for her?
What size board? I'm thinking 139cm
Should I limit our search to "girl boards" or just look for a board same way I'd search for me?
Seems silly but should it be a "girls board" and not what ever we find that she likes, graphics, size, flex etc hope I phrased that right?
Thinking hybrid camber with med flex. This would be a good all mountain/park board for her.

Just looking for insight from girls/women, dads, boyfriends that got girlfriends boards and anyone that wants to chime in on my "another board thread"

Last edited by slyder; 07-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Haha, I'm in the same boat right now. I've been shopping hard for a board for my 8 year old boy, sticks for mom, and working on talking my 10 year girl into a board (over skis). I've just been looking for a board they will like to look at, found the boy a Star Wars Burton, haven't found one yet for the girl. I know for sure I'm only shopping for used for the first season. That's probably my best tip in this rambling post.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

she's so light you really do need to limit your search to women's/girls', or boys boards. as a beginner and someone still growing I personally wouldn't drop a lot of coin on the first board. they'll be other and probably better recs, but you can't really go wrong with the burton feather. I think the boys kass could be a really interesting option given your hoped for use/criteria
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Grab a Kids' within her weight class that she's stoked to look at and ride. Shape doesn't really matter that much, she'll learn on what she learns on.

My kid is 4 with a burton chicklet (camber) and loved it so much she we went a second day.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would go used here, for sure

You could probably get 2 or even 3 boards for the price of a new one

Then you don't have to worry about scratchin' it, you can tell her to ride over anything she wants. She'll like that.

Get a couple anyway, I'm sure little kids benefit from pow specific/or @ least longer boards on deep days too

You want me to find ya a few?

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Haha, I'm in the same boat right now. I've been shopping hard for a board for my 8 year old boy, sticks for mom, and working on talking my 10 year girl into a board (over skis). I've just been looking for a board they will like to look at, found the boy a Star Wars Burton, haven't found one yet for the girl. I know for sure I'm only shopping for used for the first season. That's probably my best tip in this rambling post.
The Ride Lowride is cool for a boy... Bought one for the park for the park for this season for Seb...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

guys I do apologize here for this stat missing I didn't think I needed to post it but from all the good feedback I think I do .
She is 14.....

I am leaning used, been trolling CL but still early in the season. Only problem is I will need to stay on top of CL tons of SIMMS, Alibi, and other boards similar not sure I should consider. Like Timmy said I could get multiple boards for price of new. I have found some Ride Compact for $215 didn't think that was unreal, but again CL I may find board & bindings under $100 which is way better. Plus I have had real good luck with the Ride boards, very durable

What do you all think on size? Am I on track with 139 no larger than 143 ?

Last edited by slyder; 07-19-2013 at 06:26 AM.
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Height and age isn't really the issue you need to focus on, boot size and weight are the important factors, so if you can find the width of a board and the length for weight of a board, then you can pretty much work it out pretty easily...

The shorter the board the easier it is to control, so for a beginner it may be better to be slightly small over slightly large, but as different manufacturers have different ways of calculating, it is best to find specifics for the boards you are looking at... Although they will all be within a certain tolerance...

Definitely look at 2nd hand, and maybe even cover your bases with 2 set ups of slightly different sizes, This will give you more choice and you will not lose loads of money either...

Nothing worse than having a new board and bashing it to buggery, you don't get this with a 2nd hand board, and you focus more on the riding rather than hurting the board that way...

Maybe go with a 139 and a 142 to start with...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
guys I do apologize here for this stat missing I didn't think I needed to post it but from all the good feedback I think I do .
She is 14.....

I am leaning used, been trolling CL but still early in the season. Only problem is I will need to stay on top of CL tons of SIMMS, Alibi, and other boards similar not sure I should consider. Like Timmy said I could get multiple boards for price of new. I have found some Ride Compact for $215 didn't think that was unreal, but again CL I may find board & bindings under $100 which is way better. Plus I have had real good luck with the Ride boards, very durable

What do you all think on size? Am I on track with 139 no larger than 143 ?

geartrade.com

PS I'll be in Milwaukee next week!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Guys,

Stoked that your kids are boarding!

Please post up foot sizes for your riders. Rider height is not an issue in correct board sizing. Foot size (along with weight) is major.

Please measure using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote