A rare question about waterproof gear.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
OSUperu

Default A rare question about waterproof gear....

Does anyone who wears carhartt (im sure probably only about 2% of you all) for boarding, and if so, what are thier pants/jacket's waterproof levels?? I've called carhartt and spoken with some tech guy that will call be back with info in a week (yea sure).

So if anyone knows id appreciate it!

Heck, those of you who wear them at all -comments on quality/functionality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

Probably about 1 or 2k, almost certainly <5k. The reason ski clothes are so goddamned expensive (other than that they can be) is that high grade waterproofing is expensive, and reduces the breathability of the clothes and the types of fabrics they can use. Once you hit 5k, you have an item of clothing that's good for really cold and wet conditions, and sucks everywhere else. Carhartt's meant to be worn everywhere, and they assume most of their wearers won't be flinging themselves into powder. Not being able to find any ratings makes me think so as well, since if their clothes were serious waterproof, they'd be telling you aaaall about it. That and I've definitely gotten wet in Carhartt jackets walking in the rain. If it's a really nice day, go for it (People will think you're a gaper though) but if you plan on going a lot, pony up the money for snowgear.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
OSUperu

yea ill probably get something appropriate I dont skimp, i'm a vineyard manager and carhartt is almost all i wear and during the winter it performs well. Keep in mind these aren't the denim jackets.. but anyways so i was hoping to get an answer as to its waterproof-ness.

Ive posted something similar on a separate thread, but what are some good brands that arent so big and bulky and more form fitting -without paying for the brand (like north face)??

And what is a gaper??
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

I can't find actual ratings anywhere, and since even the tech guy says he doesn't know, I guess it's a closely held secret or something. But Carhartt stuff is pretty nice, and I'm sure it'll hold up fine on average days. If you're planning on going even if it's nasty, then it's worth the investment for 'real' stuff.

As far as brands,people say this brand or that brand is looser/tighter but I've found it changes from item to item. 3 different medium Burton jackets will fit me in 3 different ways. One general rule of thumb is that it's wicked neon and 'steezy' it's also probably baggy. Not much help I know, but the best thing is to go try a few on, everyone's different.

And a gaper is basically a once or few times a year skier/snowboarder, or just a tourist, basically. (Or a ridiculous park rat wearing super baggy clothes and a basketball jersey...anyone that annoys the locals, really) Not necessarily an insult, but people do treat you different.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringheelJack View Post
I (Or a ridiculous park rat wearing super baggy clothes and a basketball jersey...anyone that annoys the locals, really) Not necessarily an insult, but people do treat you different.
haha I almost pissed myself. Id say something about lucas magoon if he wasnt so damn good

I find sessions gear to be very nice when it comes to fit and function. recco reflectors, a million pockets and some nice safety features like a built in rape whistle
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote