what's the deal w/ stickers & helmets? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
N~R~G

Default what's the deal w/ stickers & helmets?

so i think it's that there is a certain type of glue that's used on some stickers that can deteriorate plastic helmets. anyone know the exact answer?

also, what about paints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Really? I haven't see that. I've seen stickers that totally fall apart, but not helmets... yet!
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sp0r3

You should keep a bottle of Goo Gone at home. It's a citrus based cleaner that removes adhesive residue easily.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
tonysimoni

Default stickers on textile helmets

Anyone has a clue on how I put stickers on a helmet with textile on it instead of plastic? My helmet is a bit like this one.
The thing is, stickers don't glue on textile (especially not on cold conditions).
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
N~R~G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
As far as I know, any sticker adheasive I know of does not damage the plastics of helmets. Often people use a petroleum based solvent to remove the gooy residue from a sticker and that melts the plastic. A citrus based solvet is best for this. Never use acetone or other petrol based solvent.

With paints, the oil based spray paints will melt into the surface of the plastic and you can not ever remove the paint and restore the helmet. Once you do it, it will be a painted helmet for ever. An acryllic or latex based paint can be applied and removed without destorying the original plastic surface however.
k, that's what it was that i read...there are some stickers out there that have a petroleum base as the glue. so they would eventually melt the plastic where the stickers is. i'm guessing not many stickers use that kind of glue though...?

ok, sweet...thanks for the answers. i'm getting my daughter a used helmet off ebay & it's camo, which i'm not sure she'll be thrilled about, but i thought we might be able to stick some stickers on it or paint it.

so word.

thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i had always understood from my motorcycling days, that helmets and stickers is simply a bad idea.

its not to say that a melon holder will disintegrate at the first sign of a sticker, but they certainly will not enhance the shells integrity.