roof rack worth it? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default roof rack worth it?

so i was looking at roof racks for the trips up to the mountain this winter.

i drive a chevy trailblazer so there is good amount of room in the back. my question is.. should i get one?

its normally going to be just me and my girlfriend going up there so the 2 front seats are taken and we can lay the back to down for more room.. but if someone else wants to go it might get a little cramped.

roof racks are like 150 bucks. i dont really want to buy one but it would be nice to have.

what are yalls opinions on being cramped in a car for about 2 hours for saving 150 bucks lol

i hope yall understand what i just said.. i feel as if it wasnt very organized
55Nick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

They're definitely worth the investment. Also saves your windows from being smashed in if someone wants to steal your stuff.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

we had a rack on the Lancer and now a rack on the Scoobie. Couldn't live without it. Get a good locking rack and you'll keep the honest people honest.

We have have the full Yakima system and have been very happy and all the locks are on one key.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get some racks for pretty cheap if you look around. If you are going to spend the money though might as well buy Yakima... they have a nice low profile to cut down on wind resistance
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok sounds like the rack is def. worth the price. i was looking at yakima as lisevolution was saying..

but what about thule? they any good?
55Nick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I use Thule Racks with a 4 board carrier. The system is just as slick as the Yakima one. The lock down system for the racks to the vehicle is slick and reliable.

As far as Yaks go. They have been a reliable company for years, but don't buy used Yakima's. They had a couple of season where the rack would blow apart on your vehicle. Even if everything was secure. They were excellent about replacing the racks and any gear that was damaged as a result. It is still something better avoided. Imagine your snowboard going through someone's windshield to get an idea of what I am talking about. They have since fixed the problem on their new racks from what I understand. So you should have no worries there.

Overall, I do like the Thule system better, that is why I went with it. Their really isn't much of a price difference between the two systems.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
I use Thule Racks with a 4 board carrier. The system is just as slick as the Yakima one. The lock down system for the racks to the vehicle is slick and reliable.

As far as Yaks go. They have been a reliable company for years, but don't buy used Yakima's. They had a couple of season where the rack would blow apart on your vehicle. Even if everything was secure. They were excellent about replacing the racks and any gear that was damaged as a result. It is still something better avoided. Imagine your snowboard going through someone's windshield to get an idea of what I am talking about. They have since fixed the problem on their new racks from what I understand. So you should have no worries there.

Overall, I do like the Thule system better, that is why I went with it. Their really isn't much of a price difference between the two systems.
Well shit... I bought a used PowderHound 4-board carrier last year. I didn't have any issues on a 7 hour drive and back again, with 2 boards and a pair of skis in there.
But that does worry me a bit... :\
The original owner replaced them only cause he got himself a box.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Thule 4-board carrier. It was only around $100. I thought it was a pretty good investment. I always go up with 2 or more people so it was necessary to get a 4 board carrier since 3+ boards wouldn't fit into my SUV and allow people to sit comfortably.
SFshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
HuskyKid42

I'm looking to get one but i was kinda worried if its bad for the board at all.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you don't want flying rocks and stuff to damage your board, get a box.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote