Hello, best choice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

Default Hello, best choice?

Hello, my name's Todd and here is some background. I'm 20 years old, 6' tall, and weigh 185 lbs. I've always wanted to get started into snowboarding while I grew up skateboarding, and still do. I've found a couple deals shopping around and I was wondering if you knowledgeable people could give me a hand? Thanks!!!

Atomic Cold Smoke: Atomic Cold Smoke 160 Snowboard + Flow Flite 2 Bindings - eBay (item 350122130906 end time Dec-07-08 09:22:54 PST)

K2 Fuse Wide: K2-Fuse Snowboard / LTD LT30 Bindings / Boots / Goggles - eBay (item 200274923795 end time Nov-19-08 11:00:02 PST)

I'm guessing I wear a size 11 or 12 boot but I was gonna go try some on to be sure. Thanks!

Last edited by ToddOwnz; 11-14-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Use the search option, but basically here is the deal in a quick summary.

By boots before anything else. This will dictate what kind of bindings you get, and if you need a "wide" board or not. Don't even start looking at decks until you own a pair of boots. Don't just "try" some on, as some brands fit different than others.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

If I got large bindings shouldn't I be okay? Or is there something else to look into? Problem is, I don't have anywhere close to go to to find boots...I kind of live in the middle of nowhere. But I guess I'll wait if that's the best option.

Last edited by ToddOwnz; 11-14-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Large will be fine for you.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

Yeah that's what I was thinking. So do you guys think I should go atomic? Maybe a mid-wide?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The boards depend on what you want for first time. If you want an easier time turning, the shorter board which looks like the K2 will assist more than a longer board to make it easier turning for first times. The longer the board the more stable they can be over higher speeds.

If you're using 11-12 size boots, I'd get a wide. It's possible to use a regular board with those size boots but depending on the bindings you get you will likely be adjusting them to their limits to make sure you don't have toe/heel drag and plus you are limited to larger front and rear foot angles to clear the toe/heel drag as well. For a size 11 boot there shouldn't be an issue, for a size 12 it might be close.

Last edited by Vlaze; 11-14-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

Thanks for the info Vlaze. I found a local shop that looks like their selection is big, well the website makes it look big. I'll see what boot I like and go from there. Any boot suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't really give you boot selections, everyone is a critic and has their own opinions. I'm partial to 32's since they've worked for me. Try a bunch of different brands & models, whatever fits you the best and makes you feel comfty is what you should go with. Over the years try some different pairs/styles/brands. Read online, research throughly, try them in person for that brand to know what size to match up for your feet, and go get em.

Also ask about the stiffness rating on the boots, the stiffer the boots the more responsive they will be, the softer the more they will flex. I tend to think softer is a little better for park and stiffer for all mountain. I try to get something around 6-7 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the stiffest. Last boots I had were real stiff, so I'm trying to tone down and try something different.

However since this is your first time, the main thing that matters should be again, comfort. The rest is just fine detail tuning to what suits you when you get better later when you get the hang of it. I would suggest going with boots 1/2 size larger than what your normal shoe sizes are. If your toes brush or touch the end of the boot then go 1/2 a size bigger, double check them out, and then get em if you're happy with the comfort. If your toes just brush the front of the boot they will likely be sore at the end of the day since the feet can flex in a boot more than people think, these are not ski boots. I bought the same size boots few years back as I wear for shoes and was sore every day at the end of the day winding up peeling a whole toe nail off at the end of the year. Not making the same mistake when I got a new pair this year.

Last edited by Vlaze; 11-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

Figured I'd let ya guys know I just won a atomic radon on eBay for $176 shipped! I used eBay's 10% coupon. Here's the link: Atomic Radon Snowboard 159cm (2007/2008) NEW!!!!! - eBay (item 370108730731 end time Nov-16-08 13:15:40 PST)