Freeride Board and Boot advice needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Watever

Default Freeride Board and Boot advice needed

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on boards and boots since I didn't keep in touch with it.

Weight : 170lbs
Height : 5'10
Boot size : 9
Budget : not limited but not unlimited either
Ride type : Freeride (no more parks for me, too old lol)

Ok, here is my little story about my experience and stuff to put it in perspective.

Like I said, I started riding quite a while ago, and I always preferred freeride to the parks. I was riding every weekends days and sometimes after work day.
But for the last 2-3 years, I lived in Holland (can't have less mountains than there lol) for work/school and only ride 2 or 3 times per winter when in vacation.
Now I am back in Montreal, Canada for good and my equipment are really old (2004 and past) so I need new ones.

My father will help me to buy a new board and boots for my Christmas gift so I can ride with him this winter. (I think he missed me while I was in Europe lol). My father is a ski instructor and get sponsorship from Elan and I might be able to get me a deal at the store he goes to. Unless I get a really good deal, I will keep my binding since I bought them before leaving and are still nearly brand new. They are Salomon SPX 2005 (I think).

So I am looking for advice on some Freeride boards and boots.

I think in 2006, I got the chance to ride two Salomon new era board (from looking at the archive I think it was the Forecast and Era ones but not sure at 100%) for a full day and loved them. But I must say one of them was may be a little bit too stiff. At the same time, I must say I am not a fan of Burton.

Any recommendation on which board and boots I should be looking for ?

Thank you very much and sorry for the long post

Last edited by Watever; 11-14-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbodog

Check out the K2 Turbo Dream, i've heard good things, going to demo one myself this year, a bit pricey though
Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My best advice (since I know not much yet) is read through burton avenger's review thread in the other section. That gave me some great ideas on boards that I'll use as a starting point to ask these guys what they think
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Watever

Other advice ?

I am going to the store tomorrow, should have a 20% on what's in stock.

Actually, I am looking between
Salomon Burner
Elan Vertigo or Crest
K2 Turbo Dream

Any advice on these ?

Avenger review on the Burner, make me worry about it.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Turbodog

the other freeride board i am going to check out this year is the Lib Tech TRS-BTX. that one might be worth looking at if you can find it.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banno

In that Lib Tech line the TRS BTX is getting more towards a park board. If yoy specifically ride freeride all the time and like the lib tech stuff then have a look at the Lib Tech T-Rice. It's a bit stiffer and better suited to full on pow and freeride.

Saying that I see that you had a stiff board and werent too keen on it so maybe the TRS BTX would be better suited?
Dunno, any chance you could demo them before you drop the cash on them?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

k2 zero board, ride nrc bindings and i wear thirty two focus boa boots. love them all and recommend them highly
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Watever

Well finaly I ended up buying Northwave Decade in brown.

They had a few other compagnies, but they all didn't fit well. I tryed the Freedom in 8.5, but was a little bit too small, would probably not feel good in the long run. When I tryed the 9, it wasn't enough tight, feeled like my feet was getting off. Then the guy came back with the Decade SL 09, they weren't on display yet since he just got them in. They were wonderful, nearly 100$ more but just soo comfy and so tight at the same time. And better in many aspect to the others. Can't wait to test them

When it was time for the board, they didn't keep any Salomon or Elan (could order them for me but I didn't want that). So after talking with the guy, how I ride etc... etc... and what he tryed himself etc... I ended up having to choose between an atomic 2008 that was on sale since they bought a lot of them. But I discard them, since I don't any one who ever rided this brand and didn't want to try lol, even if it was a good deal. The other 2 was the K2 Zeppellin and the Option Vinson.

After a long time etc... I choose the Vinson, since I already owned an option in the past, I liked. The guy tested that one but not the other one and told me he was sure that this one would fit me.

So, can't wait to try them now