Tried on some boots today... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tried on some boots today...

Today, I went to Eastern Boarder to try on some boots. The first boot the guy suggested was the 32 Lashed. He got out an 11 1/2 because I am a size 12 sneaker. It was too small, so I tried on the 13 which was too big.(out of size 12) I thought they fit all right but my heel was swimming so I discarded those out my choices.

I had walked into the store with the K2 Darko access in mind. I tried these on next. I tried on the size 12 which was crunching my toes a bit. Other than the fact that my toes were touching the front too much, they were perfect. Even then, I was thinking that they might not be too small. After a while, my toes hurt and realized that I needed a 13. But they didn't carry size 13 Darko's.

Next, I tried on the Burton Hails(size 13). Overall, these were pretty nice, but way to flexy for me, and I had some heel lift. The heel lift was probably magnified because the Darko's had none. I considered them, but decided to try something else on.

By now, this guy hated me for wasting his time, but him and another person who worked there kept helping me. So, of course, my mom tells them to grab some nike boots. I HATED THESE. They fit horribly tight and were really heavy. I took my foot out right away and never looked back.

Now, that 2nd guy who helped me told me that I should try the Forum Kicker SLR because that is what he wears. He said they were butt ugly, but fit like a pillow. I tried on the size 13 first, seeing that all the other size 12's were way to small. At first, I thought they were huge because my toes were not touching. But it felt like they might be. Overall, the Forum's fit very tight, yet comfortable. I tried the size 12 on just in case. The 12's were perfect. They fit just like the K2 darko, but didn't hurt my toes. I put a down payment on them.

Here is the problem. These boots are my christmas present and $230 is way too much for my mom to spend. She feels that $115 is more reasonable...... But she would rather I have boots that fit me right. The Forum's ended up being $230, but the Darko's were $200. Overall, I like the Darko's more, but they didn't have my size. Should I try and find another store and try on the Darko's in size 13, or get the Forum's? Or, should I order last years Forums for $115?

Story time is now over. What should I do?
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

anyway you can kick-in some cash on them? Anyone here will tell you if there is any place to splurge, its the boots.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went through the same thing last week, eyeing a pair of boots that were only $139 and ended up leaving the store with Salomon's that were $329. The point of the matter, the most important part of boot-shopping, is that the cheaper boots sucked and hurt; the boots I bought fit me like a dream and for sure I'll get several seasons out of them.

Have you tried looking online? I just took a quick peak and dogfunk.com has K2 Darko's size 13 in black for $189 -- and if you're in the US you can get pretty cheap or free shipping.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i bought my boots so my toes were jammin.....after a heat mold and break in period they are perfect
Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wound up myself getting new 32 lashed myself this year. I have size 11 feet, and learned always get 1/2 a size bigger, even with 32's heat molded, your feet can transfer farther than what you feel walking around it on the board. Think of the excess force moving your feet when on the board and the angles used, they will reach farther since the boots are flexible, they're not ski boots. No matter how stiff a rating your toes will move some.

I bought size 11 32's two years ago, my toes were sore after every run although they didn't jam up in the boot when walking or standing around, why? Because of the flexing from an all day run, both years wound up having to remove a toe nail because of it at the end of the year.

Get boots that are where your toes do not touch the front without drastic effort, but are close. If they brush the front, go 1/2 a size bigger. You transitioned between size 12's and 13's, that's a big leap try 12 & 1/2. Just my 2 cents.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
the skeptik

Sierrasnowboard.com has the kicker slrs for 115.
Forum Snowboard Boots Forum Kicker SLR Snowboard Boots
Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skeptik View Post
Sierrasnowboard.com has the kicker slrs for 115.
Forum Snowboard Boots Forum Kicker SLR Snowboard Boots
I saw those, but my only worry is that they might fit different. I will have to research it and see how much they changed since last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag⋅net⋅ism View Post

Have you tried looking online? I just took a quick peak and dogfunk.com has K2 Darko's size 13 in black for $189 -- and if you're in the US you can get pretty cheap or free shipping.
I would rather try them on first. Who knows? The 13's still might be too small. I love the features of the Darkos so much more than the SLR and they had way better heel hold. Nevermind how they just look better.

The boa liner is the shit.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
siberianmist

i have those forum slr kickers, they are awesome, hold the heal down well, they fit like burtons maybe a little wider. wear a size 12 shoe, 11.5 in this boot.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
username999

I've been using burton ions now for about 4 pairs and they always feel so tight when I first put them on my foot is gonna explode (toe jammed up too) after about 5 to ten hours they fit like a glove and after a week of riding are like part of me. so comfy and warm. I know ions are out of your suggested price range. (got mine for 259) but just pointing out that how it feels in the store is not always how they will end up later. also have some friends who have bought boots only to have them pack out two weeks later and be too big.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The boots too big I can already tell you that. Let alone the whole recommending the boot because he wears it is bull shit.