Disadvantages of a board being too small... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardWalk View Post
Just set the bindings back.
That is, if it bothers you.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
As far as demo-ing a board, how does that work? Do you just show up on the mountain a particular set day and test as many as you want?
How it works here: If there's an official demo day with one or several brands, yes: show up, fill out a form, sometimes pay some bucks and demo whatever they have in stock. Good way to demo several boards and to get an idea on what you're looking for. But... you can't be sure that they'll have the model/size you seek. If you're interested in a specific model, it's worth to call the salesmen ahead to make sure that they'll bring this specific board.
Ask the brands for dates/places of demo days.

Or via shops. I buy my gear in local shops. It's a bit more expensive but it's give and take... if I'm interested in a board, I'll get it to demo cos they know that I'll buy it from them if I like it. If it's a shop you haven't been a customer before, it might be that they charge you for demoing (actually renting), but if you then buy the board, they refund this charge.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 07-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post

Or via shops. I buy my gear in local shops. It's a bit more expensive but it's give and take... if I'm interested in a board, I'll get it to demo cos they know that I'll buy it from them if I like it. If it's a shop you haven't been a customer before, it might be that they charge you for demoing (actually renting), but if you then buy the board, they refund this charge.
I'm new to CO so I don't have a "shop" here yet, but I'm sure I'll find one. Maybe I can become friends with an employee and get the hook-up. Thanks for the idea.
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where your gonna be riding?

I'm 280-290 lbs and rode a 162w in up to nipple deep pow.... No problem here..... I did buy a pow specific board for deeper days here this coming season though just to see the difference. I now have a pin tail 163. My 162 is a directional twin with a 1" setback though.

I am sure you would be just fine on a 157ish board for all mtn, use the old board for park days. Get a board you like, ride it ALOT and have a great season.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

59 pinner blems can be had on the smokin site for 200 bones
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im 5'11" 245lbs (kinda heavy set) with a size 10 1/2 shoe. I ride a 157 for all mountain/park, and for any powder deep enough that i might have to dig out if i get stuck, i ride a 162 and set my bindings back.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

My boyfriend weighs about 210 and the board he's ridden most in the last few years is a fully cambered 159. Please note my location. He has bigger boards (up to a 172), and the split I got him is a hybrid rocker 166 because he's talked about getting a longer one when he got a split, but he's been riding that cambered deck just fine, even in fairly deep coastal pow, where you can really auger in if you sink it.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Where your gonna be riding?...
I bought the "EPIC Local Pass" so it includes Keystone, A-basin, Breck, and 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek... I'll probably do most of my riding at Keystone or A-basin because I have close friends from college that work there. But I WILL be going to all of them throughout this season. (First time out West, gotta go big!!)

Thanks for all the suggestions, peeps. I think I'll shoot for a 160-ish board just to be on the safe side. It seems as if most people here are suggesting within 3cm either way of that...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, peeps. I think I'll shoot for a 160-ish board just to be on the safe side. It seems as if most people here are suggesting within 3cm either way of that...
You're getting a lot of people on one side of the spectrum here.

I'm the opposite. I weigh 175 and I learned on a 153. Went to a 159 and loved it. Went to a 160 with a MUCH longer effective edge and LOVED it. Went to a 156 play board (Burton Custom) the park and could hardly ride the thing. I've gotten used to it but I think once you try a bigger board you'll be much more happy with it!

Burton should have demo days in CO. Just show up, request a couple bigger boards (your weight should be in the low 160 range) and try them out. Then ride your 154 again and see what you feel...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
You're getting a lot of people on one side of the spectrum here.

I'm the opposite. I weigh 175 and I learned on a 153. Went to a 159 and loved it. Went to a 160 with a MUCH longer effective edge and LOVED it. Went to a 156 play board (Burton Custom) the park and could hardly ride the thing. I've gotten used to it but I think once you try a bigger board you'll be much more happy with it!

Burton should have demo days in CO. Just show up, request a couple bigger boards (your weight should be in the low 160 range) and try them out. Then ride your 154 again and see what you feel...

So you're suggesting to go bigger than suggested? I'm thinking that because I'm getting a WIDE board, that should give me the stability of a slightly longer board, correct? And for the GNU Rider's Choice, their website suggests purchasing (that particular board) 3cm shorter than "normal"... So I was looking at the 162W. Thoughts?