Disadvantages of a board being too small... - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't listen to that guy if he had his way companies would still make stiff directional cambered boards with 10 feet of set back. Once again this forum is making people over analyze everything.
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
TLN

My vote goes to longer sticks. Get as long as you can handle and give it a try. It's so much fun. With 175lbs you can easily ride a 168 sticks.
Wide won't give you stablity, but will definaly give you more float. You can chose between longer(and stable) board and wider (easy turning) board with same amount of float.

I cannot get an idea how a 240+ lbs guys ride 157-162 sticks in pow. This is either not pow, either they lie a bit
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLN View Post
I cannot get an idea how a 240+ lbs guys ride 157-162 sticks in pow. This is either not pow, either they lie a bit
Pow seems to be different over there or the riding style is different (less carving oriented?) or or it's just a traditional thing . All my male friens with around 190lbs ride boards around 160-164 for groomers n pow.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Where your gonna be riding?

I'm 280-290 lbs and rode a 162w in up to nipple deep pow.... No problem here..... I did buy a pow specific board for deeper days here this coming season though just to see the difference. I now have a pin tail 163. My 162 is a directional twin with a 1" setback though.
Do you find you sink at all riding that 162? im a little lighter than you 275, and i ride a 165 berzerker but haven't been in deep stuff on it yet, ive been seriously considering buying a 178 prior for Japan, and when i go to Canada, i just assumed that the 65 would be too short.

Actually i am going to buy the longer board, but just curious how you ride a shorter deck in the deep stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
just curious how you ride a shorter deck in the deep stuff.
Charge that shit!
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
For those curious as to what boards I'm considering, I've looked at a 162W GNU's Rider's Choice for all mountain riding, and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder. (Both are a ~5 flex)
You are a great fit for both or those decks (perfectly centered in the weight range for each and a good match for foot size at a variety of stance angles and stance width options).

You can read a lot of opinions and reviews here on the Carbon Credit. We sell them so I will stay out of that but on the spec side it is definitely a fit.

Have you ridden S rocker? AWESOME in pow. My personal favorite profile for a pow only stick. The Barracuda would be a great choice for you for that portion of your riding.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Have you ridden S rocker? AWESOME in pow. My personal favorite profile for a pow only stick. The Barracuda would be a great choice for you for that portion of your riding.
I have not. In the south-east, pow-specific boards are a waste of money. Even if we would get "dumped on" we'd be lucky to see 4in and it was guaranteed to be slush within hours of opening.
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
I have not. In the south-east, pow-specific boards are a waste of money. Even if we would get "dumped on" we'd be lucky to see 4in and it was guaranteed to be slush within hours of opening.
Hi Mayor,

I had read your comment where you had written, "and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder". I thought that was something you had been considering. If not, I would not suggest that board for the conditions that you are describing.

Thanks for the clarification.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
So you're suggesting to go bigger than suggested? I'm thinking that because I'm getting a WIDE board, that should give me the stability of a slightly longer board, correct? And for the GNU Rider's Choice, their website suggests purchasing (that particular board) 3cm shorter than "normal"... So I was looking at the 162W. Thoughts?
I would suggest getting a board in the right range.

Here's a calc I use to get a pretty decent starting point with picking a size: Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

Using that calc with your stats, it suggests a 162 for you. I'd say that's a good number, but once you get used to rocky mountain powder you may want to increase the length a little.

Like Wiredsport said though "stability" has more to do with effective edge than board length. Look for boards with longer effective edge. Some manufacturers publish it and some don't.

Typical effective edge for a 160 cm board would be around 125 cm or so. More than that is better.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Mayor,

I had read your comment where you had written, "and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder". I thought that was something you had been considering. If not, I would not suggest that board for the conditions that you are describing.

Thanks for the clarification.
Maybe you didn't read the whole post, I AM considering the Barracuda as I have just moved to CO last week and plan to ride as often as possible.

The previous comment was in response to your question about riding an "s-rocker" board... which I had not due to the fact I lived in TN.
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote