Disadvantages of a board being too small... - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
Maybe you didn't read the whole post, I AM considering the Barracuda as I have just moved to CO last week and plan to ride as often as possible.

The previous comment was in response to your question about riding an "s-rocker" board... which I had not due to the fact I lived in TN.
Ahh,

Great then. You will get plenty of Pow days from here on out. Honestly, since you will have the conditions, I would highly suggest that you demo and not listen to any of us . Everything is about to change in terms of your board needs. You may find that your favorite setup is not on your current list. You are in for a great year!
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

I have to say, with the wealth of information To be found here. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by The infinite number of choices. I understand the concept that you don't want to make a mistake with your next board purchase and get something you're not completely happy with, But I would have to agree it's pretty easy to over analyze the entire process.

Lots of people with diff. likes, dislikes, styles, riding conditions, terrain, etc. etc. etc. It will b next to impossible to get a consensus.

Having said that, your original question is Essentially a good one. I was considering posting something similar myself as I was thinking of looking for a new board To add to my quiver this season, And wasn't exactly certain which way to go.

I live in SE Michigan. Crappy hills, Lots of man-made, crappy conditions, lots of ice etc. I am 6 foot, weighed 195 lbs. when I started snowboarding. (.... About 250 lbs now totally geared out! :-( ). I learned to ride Those conditions with a full Camber, set back, all mountain, directional twin, 163 wide Arbor Roundhouse. It was Undoubtedly the wrong board for me At the time. I got some Questionable "expert" sales advice at REI, And purchased a long, wide, board That I didn't really need for my size 10 1/2 feet.

Since then I have acquired a Rome garage rocker 159, regular width, And a used NS proto-CT, 157 regular width. Both of which I love! (I even got to ride them in some shin & knee deep POW this last season! Both of them rode great!) On groomers they are fun, lightweight, playful, and easy to ride and turn. By comparison my 163W arbor now feels somewhat harder to turn and even a bit clumsy at times. Because of that, I was considering selling it this fall before the season started to put towards a newer different regular width board. And I love that board!!! I rode it exclusively for more than a season and a half. (....Im 53 yo & 2.5 seasons in to my boarding btw!)

Now, because it IS a wide, I think I'll hold on to it to use as my POW board for the extra float. (...Whenever that opportunity might arise!) In Deep stuff, I don't imagine the width will make it all that much harder to turn!

If I decide to purchase another board At some point this season, I will go with something in a reg. width, either full or hybrid camber, maybe some grip tech or magna traction. I will most likely go middle of the road in length, probably 159-161cm. That, I think, should probably cover most of my bases for now.

This was my brief experience learning about getting used to, and riding new and completely different profiled boards. Take from it what u will. Ignore any or all of it you deem bullshit.

Whatever board u buy, Just ride the fuck out of it and have a blast!

Edit: (...I know, I know! Tldr!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 07-31-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Who the fuck knows or cares! :)
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For those curious as to what boards I'm considering, I've looked at a 162W GNU's Rider's Choice for all mountain riding, and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder. (Both are a ~5 flex)

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

the burton barracuda rides fairly big for its size. 169 will be a lot of board to what ur used to. imo u wont need the whole 169cm to float on top of the snow and it will be hard work maneuvering through the trees.

also, only get a wide if u actually need it (sz 12US+).. im a size 12 and still try to avoid riding wides, i find them much harder to turn and throw around compared to my mid wides. a wide board wont necessarily make it more stable and if u dont have a big foot it will just mean more work to go from edge to edge.
Steezus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Veteran Member

barracuda isn't a good board. avoid.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Do you find you sink at all riding that 162? im a little lighter than you 275, and i ride a 165 berzerker but haven't been in deep stuff on it yet, ive been seriously considering buying a 178 prior for Japan, and when i go to Canada, i just assumed that the 65 would be too short.

Actually i am going to buy the longer board, but just curious how you ride a shorter deck in the deep stuff.
I have no problem but I don't go on low angle slopes if it's over calf deep and only over 25-30* slope in deeper stuff. I keep speed up but have no problem getting started again if I eat shit. We have real light snow here like Japan does so comparison would be close for waist/nip deep snow here and there. My only wish is that I put another 1" setback on my board on the real deep days so my back leg didn't hurt as much......
Argo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm over 200lbs and mostly ride a Heritage 158. Got another 160 and just picked up a Camel Toe 162 from Dogfunk for $240. Couldn't resist .......always wanted a dedicated powder board.
mojo maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezus Christ View Post

the burton barracuda rides fairly big for its size. 169 will be a lot of board to what ur used to. imo u wont need the whole 169cm to float on top of the snow and it will be hard work maneuvering through the trees.

also, only get a wide if u actually need it (sz 12US+).. im a size 12 and still try to avoid riding wides, i find them much harder to turn and throw around compared to my mid wides. a wide board wont necessarily make it more stable and if u dont have a big foot it will just mean more work to go from edge to edge.
Ah, yes... I forgot about that. I'll scale the size down then.

And I wear a size 12 boot, but my DC's are quite bulky. I could probably buy slimmer profile boots, but these are only a year old... plus, my toes are cramped with thick socks so I might go up a size next pair.

(I've never seen a "mid-wide" board, either...)
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo maestro View Post
I'm over 200lbs and mostly ride a Heritage 158. Got another 160 and just picked up a Camel Toe 162 from Dogfunk for $240. Couldn't resist .......always wanted a dedicated powder board.
How did you base your powder board size? I thought a pow-specific board was suppose to be like, +6cm longer than what you normally ride...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
How did you base your powder board size? I thought a pow-specific board was suppose to be like, +6cm longer than what you normally ride...
no no no

10char
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
no no no
Pardon my ignorance. I based that statement off S-E coast hearsay. Powder profiles are never discussed and I wasn't aware they could make THAT big of a difference (size-wise).

Thanks to Supra, it looks like I'll be rollin in the direction of the Smokin Board he previously mentioned as opposed to the Burton (all the reviews seem too mixed). "Playful and floaty" is exactly what I'm looking for... and since cosmetic blems dont bother me in the least, the price just seems too good to pass up.

EDIT: nvm, sold out already!!

Last edited by theMayor; 08-01-2013 at 03:07 AM.