Disadvantages of a board being too small... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Disadvantages of a board being too small...

Hey guys, so I've been doing A LOT of research and have come across conflicting information...So I decided to post up in here.

My question is, what are the disadvantages of riding a board that is too small based on my weight??

A little background:
Up until now, Ive only ridden east coast, packed snow (ice).
I consider myself an intermediate rider (3 years, +20X/year)
My winter weight is 200-210lbs and I'm 5'11".
Size 12 boot.
I just moved to CO and plan on riding +50X this season.
No park experience, but plan to give it a try since I wont be landing on ice like out east.

So with that said, my first board was/is a Forum 154W Destroyer. (~5 stiffness) And while I love the board and I'm extremely comfortable on it carving down the mountain, I'm worried that it may be too small for me here in CO. I'll be riding "allmountain" style.... mainly carving slopes (and this weird thing y'all call "powder"), but like I said, I would like to play a little in the park and hit decent jumps.

For my weight/ riding style, I've gotten recommendations for everything from a 162-170... so obviously, my 154 is quite small... But is stability the only thing I'm compromising by riding a board too small? Is there a possibility I could break it (I haven't yet!)?? I'm looking at last years GNU's Rider's Choice board (~5 stiffness) and just need recommendations on where to go from here...
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

You'll get contradictory answers here as well but one thing is obvious: you'll submarine with this board in deep fluff with your stats. Hubby has 190lbs and rides boards around 164 for (not extremely deep) pow. If you want to enjoy pow and don't dig yourself out on flats and lean back all the time, you'll need a longer board (I ride a 158 freeride board having 120lbs for these reasons). And I'm pretty sure, as soon as you did the first turns in fluff, you want a board suitable for it. Enjoy!

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

^^^ this
And you will enjoy the stability of a longer board at high speed, if you just want to play around the 154 will be fine
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
You'll get contradictory answers here as well but one thing is obvious: you'll submarine with this board in deep fluff with your stats.

I'm about the same stats (6'2", 190) and I ride a 161 most of the time here on the Ice coast and a 164 on my trips out west. And for deep stuff, I wish I had something in the 168+ range. Aside from stability, you'll probably find that a longer board has increased edge hold due to the increase in effective edge.

You should also think about why so many people have a quiver of boards: different boards for different things. Why get another 154?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep your little board for groomers and the park for now, unless you're a rabid speed demon it will be fine, and especially good for park, butters etc.

Demo a longer, powder oriented board on a day with good snow and see what you think. Then buy accordingly. Consider burton Sherlock as an all round board thats good in powder or fish or barracuda for powder specific.

Demo is your friend.

Last edited by Lamps; 07-30-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You don't have to get a super long board. Nowadays there are so many different shapes & rockers that you can really get any size you want. Nugs & fishcuits are examples of shorter boards that float great in pow. You could get something like a wide smokin superpark ctx 159 & have great float - or get the Bon aire that comes out next year. Wide Sherlock is good too & the list goes on
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
For my weight/ riding style, I've gotten recommendations for everything from a 162-170... so obviously, my 154 is quite small...
Hi Mayor,

The tip to tip cm length (162, 170, 154 from above) of a board in itself means very little in terms of performance. I would focus your comparisons on running length or effective edge.

Depending on how the manufacturer extends or blunts the raised tip/tail a much shorter board can "ride" longer than a much longer board. It is also very common for the "marketing length" of the actual product (the size printed on the board) to be far off from the actual board measurement. Take a tape measure to your current deck. You may be in for a good laugh

If possible let us know about the specific models that you are referring to / considering. That is the only way to make strong suggestions for you.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you think there isn't ice in the park here you are sadly mistaken. That shit is firm and I mean FIRM. I'm about 25 to 30lbs less than you. Would I recommend at your size you ride a 54 for powder? No it won't be the most ideal. Would I recommend a 62 to 170 oh fuck no.

Is the pow deep and going to weigh you down here? Nope it's probably the lightest in the country till mid March/April then it can get heavier.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
If you think there isn't ice in the park here you are sadly mistaken. That shit is firm and I mean FIRM.
Haha, I'm aware there is ice everywhere, but out east our home slopes (NC and WV)are so small and packed that it is literally like boarding on a slanted ice rink. Practicing park on SOLID ice is not ideal, and "powder days" consist usually of about 2in of wet slush... So I'm pretty excited for some descent pow, even if it does get firm, I guarantee that I wont complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Keep your little board for groomers and the park for now, unless you're a rabid speed demon it will be fine, and especially good for park, butters etc.

Demo a longer, powder oriented board on a day with good snow and see what you think. Then buy accordingly. Consider burton Sherlock as an all round board thats good in powder or fish or barracuda for powder specific.

Demo is your friend.
I enjoy speed, but even riding my 154 I feel comfortable and stable racing down the mountain, that why I'm curious if a larger board will even benefit me (stability wise)... or just slow my turns.
As far as demo-ing a board, how does that work? Do you just show up on the mountain a particular set day and test as many as you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You should also think about why so many people have a quiver of boards: different boards for different things. Why get another 154?
I'm not planning to get another small board. But building up an arsenal of boards IS my goal... I just need a starting point.

For those curious as to what boards I'm considering, I've looked at a 162W GNU's Rider's Choice for all mountain riding, and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder. (Both are a ~5 flex)

Thoughts?

Last edited by theMayor; 07-30-2013 at 12:17 PM.
theMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 185lb and only have one board longer than 156 that includes a couple of 52s that are a blast to ride and no real problem in powder. Just set the bindings back.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote