Stumped on selecting a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stumped on selecting a board

Hi everyone. I finally felt the need to join this forum so I could ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. What board should I get? Don't worry, I'm not a beginner, so you don't have to deal with trying to explain things to me. I don't know what it is, but I just can't really find any boards that are overly appealing to me. Oh, I also don't even know what size board to ride anymore either, so could someone help with that? I'm about 5'7", 135-140 pounds, and I pretty much like to do anything. I had a 150 Stepchild Sexton this past season and it felt too stiff and too big for me, yet the year prior I had a Capita Indoor Survival that was a 150 and I loved it (before I broke it.) Anyway, back to board options. These are the ones that I have in mind so far:
GNU Forest Bailey Pickle 150
Lib Box Scratcher 147
Capita Ultrafear 147

The only thing about Capitas is that even though I've liked the ones I've ridden, they seem to break too easily. I've never rode a Mervin board before, so does anyone have input on either of those? Also, I can get the GNU for $350 and the Lib for $320. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. To give an idea of board suggestions I'm looking for, my local shop has Lib, GNU, Capita, Rome, Burton, Ride, Never Summer, and Stepchild as far I know. Sorry for this being so long-winded but I'd appreciate any help I can get right now.
HashSlngngSlshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks everyone... you've been a great help
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

You think you wrote a lot but actually we only know that you are no beginner and like everything(?)... hard to judge from this info if the boards you listed would match I won't be of help anyway since I know any of these boards, but I'm sure, if you'll describe a little more what your riding style is (Park? Pow? Carving? Cruising? Speed?), what specifically you liked with your former boards and what not, the guys here will help

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can't help much with specifics because I don't know those specific boards, but I can help a little.

I have heard that Capita may not be as durable as some boards cause they are more affordable and are very popular with park riders that thrash their boards every year and then get a new one. However, they are very popular boards, so I can't imagine they have a serious durability issue.

Mervin boards are great, I've owned two, and the only durability issues I've heard are cosmetic related to the top sheet (not important IMO).

Like the previous poster, more details about what you are looking for helps. You said you like everything, but the boards you listed are pretty park oriented (I think....again, I don't know much about them).
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, so yes, I do like riding everything but I guess what I meant in those regards is that I like lapping the park (rails, jumps, whatever), just cruising and doing carves and what not, and also treating the mountain like the whole thing's the park, like sidehits and logs and stuff. Yes, I'm looking for a park board, so I'm not expecting something that'll pull real tight carves, but I do want something that can carve a little. I also probably don't need to worry too much about float in powder either. Let's see... Boards I've ridden in the past and what I thought of them:

Capita Horrorscope 148- really fun because it's so soft, but also what I thought was its downfall. I'm not that heavily rail oriented so I don't need something so soft.

Capita Ultrafear 147- I rode it as a demo board I think the second year it was in production and it just felt dead to me. No pop or flex. Maybe my stance wasn't right. I don't know. I'm hoping this could've changed.

Capita Indoor Survival 150- So much fun! Pretty fast but still flexible enough to press it pretty easily. Narrower than the horrorscope or ultrafear so it could kinda carve. I just wish they made it in like a 148.

Salomon Salomonder 148- Borrowed it from a friend for a while and it seemed pretty solid. Probably had more pop than reverse camber too.

Nitro Subzero 148- Another board I demo'd and it was tons of fun. Ridiculous presses on it and the weird gullwing camber helped it keep an edge pretty well also. I wish I had gotten to spend more time on it.

Stepchild Joe Sexton 150 - This board is an absolute beast. So solid, like the construction on it just seems spot on. The only thing is that it was way stiffer than I expected, or I'm not man enough to get good presses on it, or because I don't have a maxed out stance. The 147 would probably suit me better.

I guess those are the specifics that I managed to leave out before. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions if they help as well.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't ride any of those personally.

Look into the 150 Salomon Villain, 148 Flow Verve, 150 Signal Freedom Machine Flat, 148 K2 Weapon, 150ish Nitro Pyro, or a 144 Echelon Killbox.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nivek do you know if much changed on the WWW? Last year's is real cheap. Also how is the pop? Not expecting super snap but not a dead plank either.

Buttering and boxes at Bear Mtn (and a sesh at Mammoth if I get stuck with the lady) are it's intended uses. Salomon Drift was another (unless you think Villain a better buttering stick).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's basically the same board. It has as much snap as it needs to get you onto any jibs you'll hit. But not a crazy amount of snap. The Drift will defintely butter easier than the Villain, but the Villain is just more versatile.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

just wanted to bump this to see if i could get any more recommendations
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Nivek gave you a half dozen recommendations he knows his shit pretty well so if you have questions about those particular boards, ask and I'm sure he'd give you more detail.

Otherwise in that sort of "do everything" I'd add in the Marhar Throwback which I think is available in a 148 and a 151. If you want something softer and more jibby/buttery oriented (the Throwback is a tad above medium IMO but might ride firmer for someone your size) then the Marhar Mystick also available in 148 & 151.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote