does 2mm really make a big difference? - small rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default does 2mm really make a big difference? - small rider

hi. thanks for reading this. i'm an east coast short guy 5' 5" at 133 - 135 lbs.

i've been riding for about 6 years, don't really do the park, at least not rails, just a few small features for jumps.

i do really enjoy pressing (or at least attempting to) all over the mountain but one thing i noticed is that i always felt a bit unstable taking down straight groomers.

i currently ride a 145 capital horror. i was wondering if i could go up a bit in size more and still be able to press... or possibly i should be changing a different size and board?

do the 2mm or even 4mm make a difference in weight and stability or pressing?

thanks guys.

humbly, east coast shortie.
theorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

It's cm, not mm.

This question has been asked many times. The thing is, it isn't an all-or-nothing situation. There's an ideal length for a particular board for the type of riding you do. Get a different board with a different effective edge and/or profile, and that length changes. Change your riding style and that length changes. Even then, it's not like you suddenly start falling over. You probably have to go more than 5cm off before you start to notice a significant difference.

Most boards (all?) have a chart indicating weight ranges for a given board size. If you're in the middle of the range for a given size, that's you. If you're towards either end of a range, you can probably choose that size or the next one over depending on your preferences. But don't over-analyze. Just go out there and hit that shit.

Edit: There are other factors to consider, too. If you're very tall or very short for your weight, then the board recommended for you by weight might be too long or too short for you to be able to set up a comfortable stance width. If you have big feet, you might need a wide board or a slightly longer board to get the waist width.

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.

Last edited by Donutz; 08-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

2cm doesn't make a lick of difference in the same board
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
But don't over-analyze. Just go out there and hit that shit.
This. Always this. Can somebody sticky this quote to.., I don't know, maybe the forum header?

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
2cm doesn't make a lick of difference in the same board
Totally.

10 char
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

2 cm plays no difference. But for your weight 145 seems to be too short, that might be the reason for unsteadiness.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorist View Post
hi. thanks for reading this. i'm an east coast short guy 5' 5" at 133 - 135 lbs.

i've been riding for about 6 years, don't really do the park, at least not rails, just a few small features for jumps.

i do really enjoy pressing (or at least attempting to) all over the mountain but one thing i noticed is that i always felt a bit unstable taking down straight groomers.

i currently ride a 145 capital horror. i was wondering if i could go up a bit in size more and still be able to press... or possibly i should be changing a different size and board?

do the 2mm or even 4mm make a difference in weight and stability or pressing?

thanks guys.

humbly, east coast shortie.
That is way too short of a board no matter what. Ok not no matter what, but it's too short.

I'm 5'6" (hey someone shorter than me) at 140-145. I ride 150-153, although for a park deck I'd ride 145-148. I'm looking at some butter boards, in the 148-150 range.

Isn't the capita horror already soft? So you have a soft, real short board. Hell yes you're going to feel unstable down groomers. I felt unstable on a 150 NS Evo on Breck's flatter blue areas.

Gotta pick one, pure buttering stick vs. stability. But man 145 is short. You can do 148-150 no problem.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

i weighed about 165 toward the end of last season and rode a 148 lobster jib board toward the end as i got a good deal on it and wanted a fun board to beat up. i had absolutely no problem taking it way too fast, and down steep runs in between natural features. it got kinda dicey on the huge slush mounds in the afternoons at the end of the season, but honestly that made it more fun to ride, hahaha... seeing how much slush you can slash without getting bucked at speed...

everyone worries so much about board length, but i can take my 158 or my 148 up on any day and still have maximum fun. i think the less seriously you take it, the more fun you can have.
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
That is way too short of a board no matter what. Ok not no matter what, but it's too short.
Too short? For who? I think just for fun I'm gonna take my sons 100 down a hill next year. So what? If I find it's a blast, maybe I'll buy one for myself. Think they'll let me, or are the lifty's gonna be all "sorry bro, can't let you ride that, it's too short!"?

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Too short? For who? I think just for fun I'm gonna take my sons 100 down a hill next year. So what? If I find it's a blast, maybe I'll buy one for myself. Think they'll let me, or are the lifty's gonna be all "sorry bro, can't let you ride that, it's too short!"?
Thats what she said.

I would think a few centimeters would make more of a difference on a rocker board than a camber board. Camber boards have more effective edge so you can usually size down a little whereas rocker has less effective edge. I am 6'5" and I ride a 157 for my dick around board but I certainly wouldn't use it as an all mountain destroyer.
miplatt88 is online now   Reply With Quote