Women's board and bindings questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
strangersface

Talking Women's board and bindings questions

I've been snowboarding for many years but this is my first time buying a snowboard. Some facts about me: I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs and am a beginner/intermediate looking for an all mountain board. There's some awesome deals on 08 models right now so I've been mainly focusing on those. I'd like some suggestions/input from you guys on good women's boards (and bindings as well).

From what I've seen so far, these are my favorite two boards:
147 Burton Women's Lux 2008

146 Ride Solace 2008

I was also considering the 144/148 Salmon Lark 2008

From the posts I've read on here it seems that the VAST majority are discussing men's boards, so I was curious to hear some thoughts on women's all mountain boards.

As for bindings, I'm leaning towards Flow but I'm not sure because it seems that a lot of people are pretty against them... I also like the Ride bindings I've come across. I'd love to hear opinions on women's bindings as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
bonnie

In my personal experience, I've used both of those boards and really like them. Check out backcountry for reviews on them. I think the Solace seemed a little more high-quality to me, but they were pretty similar. I would go for the Lux or Solace over the Salomon any day.

Regarding bindings, yes, Flow's get a bad wrap, but I like them quite a bit. I like the ease of getting in and out of them quickly and easily. If you are an all-mountain rider that rides with skiers, they'll work out well. Personally, I don't like Ride bindings that much - but that's just my preference. For traditional women's bindings, Burton's have served me well.

Again, it's really all personal preference. Buy from a place that has a good return policy...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

My daughter frequents the following and lots of threads about boards and bindings from women riders.

Powderroom.net • Index page
Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't speak personally, being a dude and what not, but my wife tried boarding once and rode a Rome Blue demo board. It was her first time and she did better than me my first time. She said it really wasn't that hard. In order to spare my masculine pride, I'm going to go out on the limb and say it was ALL the board. It must be the single greatest board ever.

Or she's better than me and the board is just ok. (But probably the first one)
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
strangersface

Thanks for all your advice!!

I'm definitely going to look into the Rome Blue some more. I've read that some of the models are really stiff. Does anyone know if this is the case with the 07/08 model? I don't mind a board on the stiffer side, as I don't plan on doing much park riding, but I don't want it too stiff either. I like some flex on bumpy terrain.

About Atomic Fallen Angel: I haven't heard much about Atomic in general, are they are good brand?

wrathfuldeity, thanks for the powderroom link! It's really helpful!

As for bindings, I always ride with some skiers, so I really like the idea of Flow bindings. Although I looked at last year's Rome Madison bindings and I do like them. I think what I'll do is buy some boots first and then try them on with various bindings in a store and see which ones have the best fit/feel.

Another small question: How flexible should my boots be? Medium-ish?

It seems that there's a lot of mixed reviews about Burton boards. Some people say they're not that great and overpriced while others swear by them...
Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I was looking for a board for my daughter who has similar stats to you. I was initially looking at the Rome Jett or Blue but BA commented that the Blue was "a plank," very stiff. In the end we settled on a Never Summer Infinity-R and Rome Madison bindings. I can't tell you how things worked out yet, but the NS Infinity (non-RC '08) may be an alternative to look at.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
strangersface

So I've been looking at the Never Summer Infinity 08 and reading about it and it sounds really great. Would it be worth the extra $100 over the Ride Solace? I don't ride that often and would like a board that will last me many years.
Any one here has experience with the NS Infinity?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

My girlfriend rides this set-up:

2007 Salomon Ivy board

Burton Citizen bidings

2007 Burton Emerald boots

She looooves her gear and swears that when she upgrades, she'll be getting another Ivy for sure.
Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gotta agree with Snowolf. The wife has an Atomic Tika and its a great cruiser board for her. She also loves her Flow's, which work well for her and her boots (Vans) fit them like a glove.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangersface View Post
So I've been looking at the Never Summer Infinity 08 and reading about it and it sounds really great. Would it be worth the extra $100 over the Ride Solace? I don't ride that often and would like a board that will last me many years.
Any one here has experience with the NS Infinity?
The Never Summer boards have a 3 year warranty, which is a plus, but in the end it's a judgement call. As long as you stick with a quality brand and pick a board that suits your stats and style of riding, such as those mentioned here, I don't think you will be disappointed.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote