Need advice on Never Summer boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Think

Default Need advice on Never Summer boards

So my current board is a P.O.S. Gnu. I despise it. It's around 2-3 years old now and I bought it because my old M3 cracked right through the center and needed a board to ride with the next day.

I generally like to bomb down groomers and whatever powder I can find (which isn't very often). I think I'm relatively fast, faster than most or all of my friends when it comes to just going down the mountain. I also like to hit the park occasionally, definitely not all the time though.

My roommate suggested I look at some Never Summer boards. I went to a ski/board shop and looked at the Legacy and Heritage X. I have to say I'm very impressed with both of the boards, they just look like they've been crafted with very close attention to detail. What the guy that was helping me out told me was that they Heritage is more of an all mountain board while the Legacy is slightly more geared towards park, but that they are very similar.

So I'm looking for a board that I can bomb down the mountain and carve with ease with room for occasional park use.

I'm pretty tall at 6'2 and I've got size 12 boots. My Gnu is a 157 wide and I think I can say with confidence I'd like at least a 161 for my next board. If I got the Heritage X, I'd probably go with the 163, if I went with the Legacy, I'd probably go with the 161.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
aj1980

pm sent........
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You might look at the SL-R too. I believe that is their main park board and overall I liked it better than the Legacy-R. Which was a surprise to me as I am more of a freeride guy anymore. The SL just felt a bit more lively and the rocker was easier to engage on butters and such. You really can't go wrong with Neversummer at all. I wish I had of had time to take out the Premier but it didn't happen.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Never Summer makes top notch products, they back their stuff with awesome warranties and when you buy from them, you are supporting local shredders right here in the west. The Legacy is a mainstay for them and this year it is a rocker. The Heritage is a kick ass board and is a conventional camber. The Heritage is a little softer with more dampening. This generaly means the board will really perform well as a true all mountain board that does well in the park. The Legacy is a bit stiffer with less dampening, making it a little more stabil at high speeds yet allows the rider to "feel" more of what is goin on underneath which should translate into being a little better for jibbing. I am not up on Rockers and plan to demo some this year.
I cant find the info anywhere, what exactly does their 3 year warranty cover? I'd assume they wouldn't fix large gouges or core shots due to riding in bad areas? I'd think it would just be for delaminating or somehow cracking/breaking...but i cant find the info anywhere..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Legacy is the wide version of the SL-R no? Not sure what the cutoff for boot size before going to a wide board is...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Their 3 year warranty covers what any other board warranty covers. Defects from construction. So delams and such are covered. If you core shot your board, you're on your own. There have been people to crack their boards and Neversummer has replaced them. Which is pretty kewl, since most of the time you break your board because you are abusing the shit out of it. Overall they have excellent warranty service. I couldn't find anything on their site about the warranty, but it's 3 years for sure.

Yeah, the Legacy is the wide version of the SL-R. It certainly rode differently than the SL. Of course, the Legacy-R was the first board I took out that day, and the SL-R was near the end of the day. The conditions had changed quite a bit so that may be part of the factor. Interesting that the SL is their park board and the Legacy is more of their freeride model according to their site.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

And I guess I should read closer... The Legacy R is definitely the board for your size boot and such. I would go with that one over the Heritage. Neversummer rocker is definitely a kick in the pants.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
And I guess I should read closer... The Legacy R is definitely the board for your size boot and such. I would go with that one over the Heritage. Neversummer rocker is definitely a kick in the pants.
You think I'd be happier with that if I'm only in the park for like 10% of the time and doing all mountain stuff for the rest?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The SL-R is considered one of the better All Mountain boards out there, i dont see why the Legacy-R which is just the wide version would be any difference.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
whoopwhoop

Im picking up a Legacy R on Friday. Im 6'1" and going with the 161. I took a look at the deck at my local shop the other day, it looks wide but not that wide. I wear a size 11 and chances are Ill wind up putting on a set of Palmer Plates.