How to get started!?!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
JSK100

Default How to get started!?!?

Hey guys. So, I want to get into snowboarding really badly! I was wondering where to start? I live in NY, and I guess it's good for snowboarding in the winter... but like.. is that the only time I can do it? So, should I go to a near by mountain and like get lessons first? I'm 14 years old... or should I just like go there with a friend? What do you guys think? I know I might get flamed for asking these questions because people are going to say to research, but I just want to know what direction I should go in... And, can someone tell me the whole difference between the different styles of snowboarding like park, and back country, or freestyle.... I think I might get into park because I think thats the little tricks like grinding and stuff, I'm pretty sure thats what my friends do. I just don't want to ask my friends all these questions or there'll think im like a noob. Yeh. So help me! Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You said you want to get into it, but have you tried it yet? If not, you'll definitely want to rent just to make sure you like it. You'll also want to stay away from the park until you can do some little hops on the regular slopes. Otherwise, you'll get run over.

As for different styles, they really explain themselves. You won't start off riding in the park or riding backcountry so you can pick a style after you learn the basics.

And finally, to get the MOST out of your first experience take a lesson. I didn't and I regret it. I had a miserable time. You can sometimes get a free lesson with rentals so make use of it!

Also, since snowboarding relies heavily on snow, winter is the only time you can do it. There is spring and summer boarding as well, but I don't know anything about the mountains near you so I can't say whether they are open or not during those times.

Browse the board here and you'll learn a lot.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TigerWolf

I found this a useful description of each of the different boards:
eBay Australia's Snowboard Gear Buying Guide

Freestyle snowboards: An excellent choice for beginners, freestyle snowboards are short, wide, flexible as well as very responsive and forgiving over harsh terrain. Designed for half pipes and terrain parks, most freestyle snowboards are symmetrical and have shovels on both ends. Some are directional-twin, which means that while they have the same shape on both ends, the tail is stiffer than the nose.

Freeride snowboards: Due to its versatility, the freeride snowboard is the most popular out of the three snowboard types and account for almost half of all snowboard sales. Typically directional with the tail thinner than the nose, freeride snowboards bridges the gap between freestyle and alpine carving by combining some aspects of both the alpine snowboards and freestyle snowboards. They are more rigid than freestyle boards, so they’re good for carving long turns, but they are not as rigid as alpine snowboards.

Alpine snowboards: Also known as carving snowboards, apine snowboards are stiff, narrow and straight. Because of this, they almost look like an enlarged ski. Designed for speed, clean curves and sharp turns, they are made in both symmetrical and asymmetrical styles and usually only have a shovel at one end. Due to their stiffness, they are generally reserved for the more advanced riders who are looking for a snowboard built for downhill.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
JSK100

Thanks a lot guys for all of the input! I can't wait to get started! I've been when I was like 6 or 7... but never since then. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

When you get on that hill, it'll be harder to ride than you think and by the end of the day you'll be in agony, but don't give up. Just keep at it 'cause it'll only take a few times out for you to start really loving it. And protect your noggin with a helmet. Seriously.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag⋅net⋅ism View Post
When you get on that hill, it'll be harder to ride than you think and by the end of the day you'll be in agony, but don't give up. Just keep at it 'cause it'll only take a few times out for you to start really loving it. And protect your noggin with a helmet. Seriously.
And butt pads. Holy christ my first season on the ice coast hurt sooo much.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
kyouness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooz View Post
And butt pads. Holy christ my first season on the ice coast hurt sooo much.
no worries. this season on the west has probably been equally painful for me. i've just learned how "not" to fall on my wrists so now my shoulders and back hurt like hell from catching edges and the occassional huge mound of pow that my board just loves to dig into.

as far as starting out goes... rent the first few times to get a feel for what kind of board you want. don't make the mistake a few of my friends made buying boards that were too stiff and too long for them, making their lives a living hell until they could afford new setups.

and getting lessons is a great way to start. no friend can tell you exactly how to do things unless they're certified or something. trust me on this. what my friends couldn't teach me in 2 seasons, i learned in an hour the other day.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sp0r3

I remember my first day snowboarding, I spent most of my time sitting on the snow. At the end of the day, my entire body was bruised up and sore. A week later, I went back up the hill, and everything was a million times better. As the old saying goes... "No pain no gain". Don't give up after a day of bad riding. You will enjoy snowboarding a lot more that way.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I could barely walk the day after my first time. I also tried to brake over an ice patch and smacked my helmetless head. It took 20 minutes before I regained enough balance to walk down. Nobody helped me of course.

Take a day or two off after the first outing. If you do the first day right, you'll be hard pressed to walk to the couch, much less hop back on a board.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
falconis

my first week...
i thought my ass was never gonna survive that kind of beating.
but eventually it all turned better , week after week you improve