Lib Tech T.Rice or Burton Custom X - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Lib Tech T.Rice or Burton Custom X

Hey all, first post!

Me in a nutshell:

* skill level 4 out of 10
* 27 yrs old, 155lbs, 5'10"
* usually ride at Big Bear, Mammoth, and a Whistler trip coming soon
* like cruising at a brisk pace on groomers and cutting through trees
* my girlfriend loves the park, but its not really for me (maybe a jump if im feeling stupid)

My situation:

Always rented and now its time for my own gear. Im treating myself, I'll spend the extra cash to get a better quality product. Got a Burton proform hookup from a good friend, so their gear is what I'm focusing on due to the savings.

However, after reading people's reviews, searching, and thinking about the logic behind it, magnatraction and banana traction sound like great ideas. I have not had a chance to demo anything, but I'm thinking the Lib Tech T.Rice is the board for me. The Burton equivalent I was considering is the Custom X.

Your opinions, impressions, and recommendations are appreciated (in my other boot and binding threads too). Please give your reasoning, rather than saying something like "Burton sucks b/c everyone rides it".

Thanks guys!
switchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The T.Rice is super stiff for super serious freeriding (okay well not super stiff, but it ain't your regular all-mountain board). A better alternative would be the TRS BTX in say, 154.

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-18-2008 at 01:47 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
kyouness

do a bunch of research on reverse camber and rockers before you go with one. it may or may not be for you. i also ride big bear and snow summit, and i don't really see anything a reverse cambered board can do that a normal cambered board can't at those resorts unless you're gonna be doing loads of jibbing, buttering, or a good amount of pow riding (which big bear/snow summit doesn't have a lot of). also, if you were dead set on going with a reverse cambered board, check out neversummer as well. seems most people prefer their reverse camber technology to that of libtech/gnu.

Last edited by kyouness; 11-18-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
davis

Default Custom X v. Custom

If possible, see if you can find a shop that demos both the Custom and Custom X. I know, tall order, and the proform and all. Our shop demos all of these, but we're on the wrong coast for you. Anyway, my $0.02 is this: The Custom X rides quite differently than the Burton Custom. I'd been using a Custom for many weeks, then took out a Custom X (same size) after someone bought the demo Custom I had been riding. Totally different experience. Much stiffer, much less forgiving. Damn near shot myself into some trees. If you're not a park person, I'd say its pretty hard not to like a Custom in your size. I wouldn't say the same for the Custom X though.

Haven't ridden the T. Rice, and BTX doesn't suit my style, but Lib/Gnu's MTX tech is money here on the right side where ice can be oh so prevalent. I know, I know, you're over there....

But if you can ride a Custom and Custom X, I'd HIGHLY recommend sampling both before buying the X.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If my memory is correct, the T.Rice board is banana tech only and no magna traction. I picked up the TRS (BTX and MTX) myself after using a skate banana at hood. I just liked the feel of the reverse camber. It was more comfortable and felt like a more natural ride.

ps burton sucks because everyone rides it
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

legallyillegal - I was under the impression that the TRS was stiffer than the T.Rice (damn Lib Tech site is confusing for real specs).

kyouness - I dont jib, butter (I dont see the appeal), and I've never been on pow (grew up in Jersey). I've researched magnatraction and banana tech quite a bit, and I still see the benefit for low speeds and when it gets icey out there. I always feel like Ill catch an edge if im not going fast or im already on an edge, so I think the tech would help nicely there.

davis - I learned on the ice coast, but we still get ice hear in Cali. Interesting observation regarding the Custom and Custom X. I'd really like to demo both, but I dont know when/where I can. I also want to get my gear setup before the season hits otherwise Im losing out on potential days. I'm not 100% sure if I'd prefer a stiffer setup, but it sounds like I wouldnt. I dont park/pipe nor do I blast down icy double blacks or moguls. I wanna cruise comfortably. Can you (or anyone) elaborate more on the characteristics of a stiff vs a softer (not skate banana noodle soft) mid-stiff board.

mooz - the T.Rice was magna only last year, this year it gains banana. I hear so many people swear by their banana experiences it makes you a believer. Very few seem to say they tried it and hated it (besides davis hehe).

Thanks for the input so far...anyone else?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouness View Post
do a bunch of research on reverse camber and rockers before you go with one. it may or may not be for you. i also ride big bear and snow summit, and i don't really see anything a reverse cambered board can do that a normal cambered board can't at those resorts unless you're gonna be doing loads of jibbing, buttering, or a good amount of pow riding (which big bear/snow summit doesn't have a lot of). also, if you were dead set on going with a reverse cambered board, check out neversummer as well. seems most people prefer their reverse camber technology to that of libtech/gnu.
When its the same price as boards that dont have it, is when you have to ask yourself..why not?
Also keep in mind that other companies have equivalents to Magnetraction, its just not called that obviously for trademark reasons.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
davis

For the record, I don't hate BTX, its just not my thing. And I must salute you for reading any post by Mooz. Personally, I haven't been able to get past ogling that avatar. Damn, that's some serious bounce.

Edit: Switch- I only made my original post because you rated yourself as a 4 out of 10. I was guessing you never rode an X and might be unpleasantly surprised if you bought one as opposed to a Custom. I generally refrain from giving advice in such situations, but if I were in your shoes, and had ridden neither the Custom nor Custom X, I'd go with the Custom. No opinion on the T. Rice here.

Last edited by davis; 11-18-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
And I must salute you for reading any post by Mooz. Personally, I haven't been able to get past ogling that avatar. Damn, that's some serious bounce.
QFT .
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Heh, that bounce is the reason it takes me so long to post (thats what she said?)

Just caught a beer with a buddy that said the same thing you did davis. I might have been hard on myself with the '4' rating, but I think I'd prefer a board with a bit more flex, which makes me ask...with the discount, why not the Vapor? Lighter and more flex, but at what drawbacks?