Design a package for my son - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Design a package for my son

Hey guys, I am wanting to get my son a snowboard for x-mas. I have only been a couple times with a friend, where he rented my equipment for me. I've done some research, but theres just so many names and little differences that I just don't know.

So my question is if you could design a package for about $800-1000, which needs to include board/bindings/boots/bibs/goggles/helmet/etc:

What would you get? My son is almost 12 years old, never been boarding, is 4'4" and weighs just under 100 pounds.

He loves skateboarding, and is pretty good at it, but I will also get him some lessons from an instructor, if thats a good idea.

Links are much appreciated if you can. Thanks guys!!
cadencesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, first off, this is probably better posted in the equipment section than in the News, updates section. So I'll move it there.

For the price range you are talking about you should have no problems getting a good setup for your son. I am not familiar with youth oriented products, but here are a few on this site who should have some recommendations

As far as lessons go. You would be doing your son a disservice by not getting him lessons. They are probably the best thing you can do for a beginner.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At that age, I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money. He will outgrow the stuff VERY quickly and a grand is a lot to put down for just one year. I'd buy some low-end used gear for now if you really don't want to keep renting. I always recommend renting until you're past the growth spurt. You can usually resell the stuff, but snowboard equipment depreciates after use quite a bit. And boots are very hard to resell for anything, in my experience.

He's going to be doing a lot of growing, so it's hard to recommend that you drop such a big amount of money into equipment.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Powerslavex04

hey, you might want to look into evogear.com
they have an outlet store that has the 08 boards that they're selling for real cheap because the 09's came in. Like everyone said, hes going to outgrow the board, boots very fast so you should probably spend less and if you buy an entry level board, boots and bindings, some day he, or you can buy a better pair if he continues to board. check it out, you won't regret it. and if I may recommend, K2 makes some good entry level stuff.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

cruising sites like Steepandcheap.com and whiskeymilitia.com to get good gear on the cheap.

They had some Burton bindings for $45 yesterday. I got a sick blizzard jacket for $109.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Be careful with those sites! If your family has a history of addiction, you could be putting yourself in danger!
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just get him some cheap gear that will last him a couple years till he grows out of it. For now, get yourself some good gear so you can go with him.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Be careful with those sites! If your family has a history of addiction, you could be putting yourself in danger!
they are verry addictive lol...well if you are confident of spending that much then you can easily piece together a really solid set...definetly cruise backcountry outlet for last years stuff, especially because they almost always have left over small bindings and boots.

companies i reccomend, and companies i know other people like alot as well:
burton
rome
lib tech
ride
union
grenade and holden both make great outterwear, also 686, 4square, and analog...

these are basic bigger brand companies, people tend to like em..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep in mind he's going to be getting gear for a youngster. Which is almost always cheaper than "adult" sized boards. He's looking at the whole set up (board, boots, bindings, outerwear, goggles), which I think he should still come in under $800. Youth boards tend to be softer and more forgiving. Most of the big guys make gear for kids. Burton, Ride, Lib Tech, etc. I am just not sure what they make. Buying last years kids gear is fine and will save some extra $$$. Regardless of what I say about the gear, he is going to grow out of it fairly quickly I would guess.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
desklamp

If he's never been boarding, go with an entry level board like other people here have suggested. If he likes it, he can upgade later and if he doesn't, you didn't drop $800 on something that gets used twice.

Also, definitely get him lessons, they really help!