Board help - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

In my experience Stability at speed depends on camber profile, length and dampening (rider input aside). I'd rate the profiles from most to least stable thusly:

Camber
Camrock R C R
C2/hybrid C R C
Reverse camber

Lots of rad new camber decks coming out this year. If you're going to a hybrid shape you will most likely sacrifice some stability at speed. You can make up for that with dampening and length or effective edge.

I ride a gnu riders choice in 158 which I can send as fast as I want through variable cruddy terrain or bumps because its on the lengthier side of my spectrum at 165lb and has enough dampening to absorb rutted out terrain without losing much character or pop. I also ride a 155 riders choice and find it twitchy and less stable at high speeds, but more freestyle friendly.

Warning, some people find magnatraction twitchyin general.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm leaning towards grabbing a raptor if I can find one for a good price, sounds like you can get good speed while keeping some character and personality at lower speeds (relative to the plank I'm riding now)
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
I don't do much riding locally besides some urban jibbing which I have an old beater board for. So if the raptor has rocker hybrid does it feel loose at high speeds or can you lock into a rail?
Honestly it's my opinion that few, very few, center rocker boards are good for freeriding. I just think for that style of riding you're moving your weight around on the board more than that rocker profile allows. If you really get into the back seat pushing through a deep carve with a center reverse board your nose won't be contacting the snow. That's lost stability and edgehold. NeverSummer should never have moved the Premier to RC. They should have kept it camber. And the Raptor is not as stiff as everyone thinks it is. Is it a freeride deck? Yeah it's built to be, but its on the softer side of the spectrum. That coupled with RC means someone that is really driving it with the back leg is going to be loosing it in a layed over turn.

I really feel for your style of riding you need either camber between your feet, or flat between and camber under your feet.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
A good place to sift through board specs/info/sprt by profile of a bunch of different companies is The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying GuideThe Good Ride I know there are people who hate that place but its a good start.

EDIT: my suggestions are only a few and by no means a good comprehensive list...just a place to start!
Also I should point out the Good Ride will give a good enough review to anything from a brand that gives them free boards. I've seen a fair amount of their reviews, they don't know jack shit about how boards should ride and in the past I've seen them get tech in a board completely wrong in their descriptions.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Honestly it's my opinion that few, very few, center rocker boards are good for freeriding. I just think for that style of riding you're moving your weight around on the board more than that rocker profile allows. If you really get into the back seat pushing through a deep carve with a center reverse board your nose won't be contacting the snow. That's lost stability and edgehold. NeverSummer should never have moved the Premier to RC. They should have kept it camber. And the Raptor is not as stiff as everyone thinks it is. Is it a freeride deck? Yeah it's built to be, but its on the softer side of the spectrum. That coupled with RC means someone that is really driving it with the back leg is going to be loosing it in a layed over turn.

I really feel for your style of riding you need either camber between your feet, or flat between and camber under your feet.
thats interesting because every review ive seen says its such a fast and good board, keep in mind i still like to play around at slower speeds just not as often as I'm charging.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sure, but how many other boards have the reviewers ridden. And the overall value of what they write. Is it stable for RC? Yeah. But compare it to a like YES PYL and its a little loose. I'd definitely pick that for instance over a Raptor if stability is your main issue. The rockered tips will keep the board plenty playful for your needs at slower speeds.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
thats interesting because every review ive seen says its such a fast and good board, keep in mind i still like to play around at slower speeds just not as often as I'm charging.
You have to consider 2 things: 1. Who these reviews are coming from and 2. an honest assessment of your riding style and ability.

On reviews: Lots of 'user' reviews are one-offs posted by people who have no little idea, because they have only ridden a small number of boards (and might not even be doing more than couple of weeks riding/year) and do not know about all the shapes, tech, etc. out there. In addition, there is always a reluctance to acknowledge a buying mistake, etc.
In contrast, most of the sources with many reviews (Goodwood, etc.) are biased because of commercial relationships (often not disclosed) or free access to gear, so might not give you honest reviews.
Incidentally, TheGoodRide manages to fall into both of those traps - they have no idea about gear and are beholden to anybody offering them free gear.
As a result of the above most reviews are not very useful and generally too positive.

Then there is the ability factor. Most recreational riders think that they are better than their actual skill level. They never actually pushy the limits of their gear - when somebody says that a board is sketchy it more often than not it is a reflection of lacking skill rather than a limitation of the equipment.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Bataleon Enemy.
Do you have a review on this Nivek? I'm far from the level I'd need to be to actually give a shit about this board, but curiosity would keep my eyes glued to the last sentence of a review...
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I dont. I dont get many opportunties to get on Bataleons. I might try and get on it this year at SIA.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure, but how many other boards have the reviewers ridden. And the overall value of what they write. Is it stable for RC? Yeah. But compare it to a like YES PYL and its a little loose. I'd definitely pick that for instance over a Raptor if stability is your main issue. The rockered tips will keep the board plenty playful for your needs at slower speeds.
Camber under the feet definitely sounds good, that was my main concern with the hybrids, I think I will stick to reg camber or camber with rockered tips. Any boards with the rockered tips I should look into?

Tags
board, fast, freeride, groomers, raptor