Board help - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Salomon Mans Board, Yes PYL, K2 Slayblade, Jones Flagship.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
Camber under the feet definitely sounds good, that was my main concern with the hybrids, I think I will stick to reg camber or camber with rockered tips. Any boards with the rockered tips I should look into?
Many were mentioned already. RCR=camrock=camber hybrid=camber under feet with rocked tips. It's confusing I know This sticky might help: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html. It'll get even more complicated... both my boards are e.g. at thegoodride under the category hybrid camber. But with the Ride Farah, the rocked nose lifts after the bindings, with the Jones Flagship the nose already lifts right under the bindings.

As for the reviews/recommendations and context... I guess we're all guilty of giving not enough background information us amateurs as well as the pros. E.g. I think that you all are tired on reading my hymn on the Flagship again and again, thus I kept it short. Some of you pros are just mentioning some brands/models, cos you answer hundreds of board questions, but how should an OP know, that you're a capacity OP, keep in mind that also ppl exist who recommend board without having ever ridden them, just cos they read about them...

K, I try to give a bit more flesh to the bone of my first post here. I got around 450 total days, most of them on trad. camber. I'm not an overly good rider, my confidence depends a lot on the board I'm strapped in. In a good year, I spend around 25% of the time in pow up to 40cm, ride steeps around 35-45. If not in pow, I like to ride fast, straight line, high speed carves. That's what our boards are selected for. Husband has around 800total days, and surely is an expert in all the above riding aspects. He doesn't care too much on which board he rides, he charges with all of them. No expertise in board tech here! I thought I'm qualified to answer the OP cos he asked exactly about boards I've ridden and cos his riding style sounds rather similar to what we do.
Husband got this Raptor as an experiment, was the first non full camber. As I said, he thinks it's a pretty good all mountain board, but being "good" everywhere also means that it isn't specialized/excels in certain aspects. He thinks it's stable at high speed, but I think it isn't. Clearly the difference is not the board, but the riders skills . What we in unison think: it's great for riding moguls cos it's soft (compared to what we ride elsewise) and very well dampened. It's great to carve, BUT it isn't as good as a Custom X or a Flagship (both with higher stiffness and camber between the feet, although my Flagship only has a micro-camber).
His conclusion for the Raptor after one season (40days): He'll buy a second board (yet to determine stiff camrock, has the Flagship in mind) for charging in the cold months when the groomers stay well the entire day, and keep the Raptor for the warmer days when the moguls/crud will appear. Again, not cos the Raptor isn't good, but cos it doesn't excel in what's important for him.
Now my Flagship hymn Amazing in pow! On groomers, it's a tank. It rides as fast as I dare without ever giving me a uncomfortable feeling (the unease at a certain speed comes from the speed itself, not from the board). It's amazingly stable, it's fast edge to edge, it does nothing you don't tell it and does exactly what you tell it within split seconds. Nothing wishy-washy. I like that and that's the reason I would buy it again, even if my skill level and stats are not exactly optimal for the board. I can't push the board as hard as it is built for. I can't pencil line carve it as husband can.
I can and did straight line the Raptor, but it didn't feel comfortable/stable, cos it hasn't the locked in feeling of the Flagship. None of the other boards I've ridden has such a stable ride. Comparable, but not equal. BUT as I already mentioned... the Flagship also has it's draw backs I am completely happy with riding it the entire day in the cold months, but for spring crud days I have a different board, not as stiff and better dampened.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 08-16-2013 at 02:59 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 on custom X
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
These all sound like great boards!

Neni: thanks for the extra clarification on the raptor, I would still like to try a hybrid camber for myself just to get a feel for how they ride but if I can't I will probably stick with one of niveks suggestions
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Yikes it would seem they really make you pay for a good freeride board.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Yikes it would seem they really make you pay for a good freeride board.
A "GOOD" freeride board can be well over $1000!

I would say some of the best bang for the buck would be the Prior Mens Freeride at $650 or so. There are some serious boards when you start worrying less about money. Kessler Ride, Oxess Freeride, Virus Avalanche, etc.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
A "GOOD" freeride board can be well over $1000!

I would say some of the best bang for the buck would be the Prior Mens Freeride at $650 or so. There are some serious boards when you start worrying less about money. Kessler Ride, Oxess Freeride, Virus Avalanche, etc.
Unfortunately Im not close enough to real mountains to justify anything over 500$ so the search continues. My brother demoed a prior a couple years ago and had nothing but positive things to say about it (he's a a little under my skill level) maybe I should wait till the end of the season for some deals.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello, I'm new here and I'm also in the market for a new board. So like most newbies i will ask your thoughts on boards as I live in one of the flattest places on earth (Saskatchewan) and can't demo anything. I grew up riding cambered boards and am currently riding an 08 forum lander 157 that has seen better days. I am the opposite of a park rat, I love to charge down the groomers as fast as my board will let me and cruise through the powder when available, which is almost never because I have to hope the days I make it out have good snow (which they usually don't). So I need a board that will rip on the hard pack, be fairly rideable in pow, and be stable at speed. My lander is stable at speed but it's pretty heavy and a bit sluggish. I'd like a board with a bit of personality as well but only if it doesn't take away from my previous qualifications. I'm an advanced rider and usually one of the fastest on the hill, especially on the ice . I'm used to a pretty unforgiving stiff board what I'm worried about is hybrid camber profiles on most boards and the stability at speed. I've been looking at boards like the ns raptor and the volkl coal. Any suggestions and experiences would be much obliged as Im not going to be able to demo any.
I too live in one of the flattest areas ever (iowa).

The Coal would be good, or the Salamon Burner.
snowboarder421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board, fast, freeride, groomers, raptor