Board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board help

Hello, I'm new here and I'm also in the market for a new board. So like most newbies i will ask your thoughts on boards as I live in one of the flattest places on earth (Saskatchewan) and can't demo anything. I grew up riding cambered boards and am currently riding an 08 forum lander 157 that has seen better days. I am the opposite of a park rat, I love to charge down the groomers as fast as my board will let me and cruise through the powder when available, which is almost never because I have to hope the days I make it out have good snow (which they usually don't). So I need a board that will rip on the hard pack, be fairly rideable in pow, and be stable at speed. My lander is stable at speed but it's pretty heavy and a bit sluggish. I'd like a board with a bit of personality as well but only if it doesn't take away from my previous qualifications. I'm an advanced rider and usually one of the fastest on the hill, especially on the ice . I'm used to a pretty unforgiving stiff board what I'm worried about is hybrid camber profiles on most boards and the stability at speed. I've been looking at boards like the ns raptor and the volkl coal. Any suggestions and experiences would be much obliged as Im not going to be able to demo any.
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

I liked the Coal a lot, very stable at speed and very nice to carve. But not the best dampening. It's a "morning groommer" board. If you don't have to handle rutty runs, it's great. Haven't been in fresh with it so can't comment on that.

How about a Burton Custom X?

Have you tried a hybrid rocker? The Raptor has a pretty different shape than the Coal... One very nice aspect of the Raptor is the good dampening. You'll ride in moguls and afternoon crud as well as in the well prepared runs. Not the case with the Coal.
Husband likes his Raptor and charges as fast as physics allow, has no issue with stability, but admits that the Cusom X was a bit better for charging. I didn't like the sloppy feeling of the rocker while straight lining. It"s not my shape. It is surprisingly good at carving though... It'll also be good in pow, not excelling, but e.g. better than the Custon X. It's a trade off . All in all a great all mountain board - IF you like rocker between the feet.

Other rather stiff camber hybrids with a very stable ride are the Ride Highlife and the Jones Flagship (my favorite, though it also lacks dampness). Others will hopefully recommend more, but these were the ones I've tried.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 08-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have only ever ridden traditional camber but I'm open to something new, it just bugs me that I can't get out to a hill and demo any seeing as I'm about 8 hours from any mountains of any kind. If the coal can't take an all day beating then it's probably out of the equation. I'm willing to get used to a new camber as long as I still have stability.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Actually the Raptor is not a camber hybrid but a rocker hybrid. It has a rocker between the feet and thats a love - hate thing. I grew up with trad. camber and had no problem at all to get used to camber hybrids (the ones with camber between the feet and early rocked nose for better float), but failed with rocker boards. For me, they just don't offer the same stability. Others will not care (as hubby) and ride both profiles with ease. Will be very hard to find out in which category you fall without trying.... Can't you wait with the purchase till you've been to a mtn where you could rent one?

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Will you be making any mountain trips, or hangin at Table "Mountain" all winter? (yup, im a transplanted flatlander!)

Ive been to Table a ton growing up and learning, and what us who ride the big mountains refer to as "powder" and what Table gets in terms of "powder" are REALLY different.

I would try something of the hybrid camber with magnetraction...

RCR:
Rossignol Templar/One,
YES Asym

CRC:
Lib Tech T. Rice, Banana Magic or GNU Riders Choice, Carbon Credit
NS (someone help me here i know sh*t about NS)

A good place to sift through board specs/info/sprt by profile of a bunch of different companies is The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying GuideThe Good Ride I know there are people who hate that place but its a good start.

EDIT: my suggestions are only a few and by no means a good comprehensive list...just a place to start!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

The Coal would be a bomber, also the good old Burton Custom X would be a good bomber...

For saskatoon ice I'd stick to camber, how much powder would you get on an average "powder" day?

edit: Another option would be a Prior Freeride if you wanted to get fancy. Good construction and a lifted nose to help with the powder days.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Never Summer Premier F1 will blow you away!

But basically you want a board with alot of damper!!!! it won't be as flexible for going to the park but you will have total control at top speed giving you ultimate confidence!
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride Highlife, Salomon Burner, the new K2 Slayblade, Flow Maverick, or a Bataleon Enemy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't do much riding locally besides some urban jibbing which I have an old beater board for. So if the raptor has rocker hybrid does it feel loose at high speeds or can you lock into a rail?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
I don't do much riding locally besides some urban jibbing which I have an old beater board for. So if the raptor has rocker hybrid does it feel loose at high speeds or can you lock into a rail?
The Rocker Camber design is amazing! The rocker between your feet lets it ride straight and smooth without catching while riding flat and the camber outside the bindings gives the board strength and power when digging in turns at high speeds. The raptor will feel super charged yet free at the same time, if that makes any sense. If you get the raptor I bet money it will be the best board you have ever riden!
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board, fast, freeride, groomers, raptor