Few questions now that I have my new gear. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Few questions now that I have my new gear.

Definitely plan on taking care of my new board, so whats the lowest base you guys would ride on? Right now Sugar Mtn is 10-30in so I'm a little hesitant. What you think?

Also, In Sno Wolfs videos on waxing, he mentions not to use an iron with holes in it and I've had this crappy one for a while that just sits in my dorm closet but it has holes. Any real reason not to use it? I realize a wax iron can be bought pretty cheap but it's still 35 bucks and thats a full day's lift ticket!

And I had more ?'s but of course I've forgotten them so I'll prolly ending posting more as this thread goes on, Thanks guys.
lcstriker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wrap tin-foil around your iron?
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a iron with holes in it to ive seen a video or two where the guys use irons with holes but i dont want to jack my new board so... any input be good. u serious about the tinfoil thing..?
paymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstriker07 View Post
Definitely plan on taking care of my new board, so whats the lowest base you guys would ride on? Right now Sugar Mtn is 10-30in so I'm a little hesitant. What you think?

Also, In Sno Wolfs videos on waxing, he mentions not to use an iron with holes in it and I've had this crappy one for a while that just sits in my dorm closet but it has holes. Any real reason not to use it? I realize a wax iron can be bought pretty cheap but it's still 35 bucks and thats a full day's lift ticket!

And I had more ?'s but of course I've forgotten them so I'll prolly ending posting more as this thread goes on, Thanks guys.
Im assuming its because all the wax will just get caught up in the holes and you may burn your board...using tinfoil will make a smooth surface to iron with...just make sure it doesnt tear..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
sparty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstriker07 View Post
Don't worry about it. Your board won't stay in "new" condition for very long, no matter how hard you try. Just get out there and scratch 'er up!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paymon View Post
i have a iron with holes in it to ive seen a video or two where the guys use irons with holes but i dont want to jack my new board so... any input be good. u serious about the tinfoil thing..?
Irons with steam holes are a pain to clean after waxing. Old wax gets in there, and the inevitable lint, dust, dirt gets stuck and the next time you wax you're grinding it into your base....that's why.

That said, you can use them no problem just clean them every time and then clean them again before you use them again.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Tin foil around the business end.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Underworld

I use an old iron and it works fine. No point going and buying something new and specific just for the job.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Think I'm gonna try the foil and if it gets to be too much of a hassle, I'll get used to cleaning it before and after. Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just completed my first wax job, took a while but I know I pretty much over did every step, just trying to get the hang of it.
Couple more ?'s
In snow wolf's vid he mentions that if the wax begins to get sticky, it's sitting up on you, what does that mean and what's the solution?

Also, as long as there is still wax between the iron and the board, is there anyway to iron for too long? Guess what I'm trying to ask is, by using more wax and ironing longer, am I allowing more wax into the pore's of the deck?

Also I had some trouble scraping around the tip and tall just because in bearing down it tends to fall off the table. I'm thinking I might build a small table with a couple slots fo the bindings to sit through it. Anybody do this or have some pictures of a table sounding similiar so I can rack up some ideas on this thing?