Dont get it - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
DenBank

Default Dont get it

Used search but didnt really find anything on that
Why many shops dont sell burton and some other brands internationally?
cannot get some of the good deals because they just cannot ship burton to canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

price fixing

fact is, they make more money out of you, by selling to you locally

over here in eurolandia we get wallet raped every time we enter a board store.

i recommend eBay; find what you like and then ask if they ship it. if not, then find someone in the country of retail who you trust to forward the stuff on to you, once you have had it delivered to them. job done.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
price fixing

fact is, they make more money out of you, by selling to you locally

over here in eurolandia we get wallet raped every time we enter a board store.

i recommend eBay; find what you like and then ask if they ship it. if not, then find someone in the country of retail who you trust to forward the stuff on to you, once you have had it delivered to them. job done.

The REAL reason is to protect your local dealers.

Lets use Canada and the US as an example:

Burton sells products in both countries, BUT has asked their US vendors not to ship parts to Canada for Canadian consumers because then no one would buy anything from the Canadian dealers. Believe it or not, they're not jus charging you more for fun; there are taxes, duties, currency conversions and a number of other charges associated with bringing merchandise accross the boarder from the US to sell in Candian stores. As such, they need to adjust their prices to be able to sell products, AND allow their dealers to make a living.

This way, Jimmy that works at your local board shop can afford to go riding with you on sunday's cuz he makes $8.00/hr selling stuff and waxing boards after school during the week. Well, once everyone starts going to the US and importing stuff, sure you might save a few $$, but Jimmy no longer has a job cuz the shop closes, and can't go riding anymore.

The unforunate aspect of this is that there is VERY limited selection here in Canadia, and the price difference of items is NOT truly reflective of the cost difference in selling to both markets (i.e. when the Canadian dollar was at par, yet they were still charging as if it was 30% lower). When things like that happen, corporations need to adjust their pricing on a WIDE scale which could mean a mojor loss to them, not to mention the stock that they already had before the dollar fluctuations. Keep in mind that when selling to a smaller market (the canadian market is minescule when compared to the US market), it costs them more to sell the product (higher distribution costs).

So, in conclusion; make a friend in the states, and cheat the system for RARE and hard to find items, but if its 25% more to buy it locally, do it, man. Its for the greater good.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

what the short sighted will of course overlook, is the fact that local retailers price their items in accordance with the recommended retail pricings of their suppliers..... and of course how much they have to pay out for the stock in the first place (+ profit)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sp0r3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
what the short sighted will of course overlook, is the fact that local retailers price their items in accordance with the recommended retail pricings of their suppliers..... and of course how much they have to pay out for the stock in the first place (+ profit)
Agree
Even with board companies (Burton, Ride, Lib Tech, etc) fluctuate their price with the current market, that still doesn't mean that the local shops will fluctuate with them (well... not necessarily).
For example, if I (US board company) sell you (local Canadian shop owner) a board for $200/board (with shipping and duties included) and you sell it to the store for $350, you make $150 profit (minus the explicit costs for employees, rent, etc). I also sell my booards to another local shop in the States for $150 which they will sell for $250. However, when the CAD and USD are at par, customers realize that $250 != $350 and it would be cheaper to buy from the States. So I changed my price of board for Canadian stores from $200 to $150 for the Canadian market. Eventhough I lowered the price for Canadian owners so they are priced the same, doesn't mean the Canadian local shops would immediately drop their price down to $250 to match the stores down by the States. Remember their initial stocks were purchased for $200/board. So if they lower the price for those to $250, their profit would be not sufficient to cover the expenses they already paid for.

That said, as consumers, we would less likely to purchase an item at a higher price when the same item can be purchased at a lower price. I try to support the local stores as much as I could. But when the difference is beyond 30% difference, it's hard not to think about my own wallet than Jimmy's.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^ very understandable... and I feel the same way.

BUT its not as simple as "I'll lower my prices by X amount cuz the dollar's been at par for 4 months"... at any given time, Burton probably has MILLIONS of dollars worth of un-shipped stock, in their warehouses, that have already been manufactured at yesterday's (non-even-canadian dollar) prices... so to lower their price on those items would be taking a really large loss... not to mention that they adjust their prices based on long-term pricing strategies, so in order for a REAL drop in pricing, the canadian dollar would have to be at par for at least a year (imo).

Also if you (as a Canadian consumer) were to buy something COMPLETELY legit; i.e. ship accross the boarder, pay duties, pay taxes etc. etc. the price difference is almost equal... I really only do it for big ticket items, and have them shipped to my local border town, and "get it" accross the border manually.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Burton Gore-Tex Glove = $65 US
Same glove = $90 CAD (price before the CAD went back down)

There's some bullshit along the way.

Prices here are so outrageous it's still usually cheaper to buy from the states. If there was no PST and/or GST, it would be a lot closer.

mini-rant!
12 pack of Kokanee = $22 at the gov't liquor store
24 pack of Kokanee = $19 at the American duty free shop

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-19-2008 at 02:51 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

what is kokanee?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Canadian Beer from Creston.

Owned by Labatt, which is now owned by InBev (who also owns Anheuser-Busch).

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
12 pack of Kokanee = $22 at the gov't liquor store
24 pack of Kokanee = $19 at the American duty free shop
That's what you get for drinking Kokanee!
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote