Snowboarding technique - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
dmw7752

Default Snowboarding technique

Hi,

I snowboarded in high school for about 2 years. I never took a lesson, just learned by myself on the slopes. I went off to college and couldnt afford to snowboard, but this year I bought a new board and have the money to buy some tickets.

Anyway, I know that the way most people turn is by simply leaning one way or the other. I can do this, but over the course of learning by myself I delveloped a habit. When I wanted to turn sharply I would shift a little weight forward and then slide my back foot while leaning into the turn pretty hard. Is this a good practice? I feel like this causes me to drag and edge a little extra and slows me down...

should I fix this habit or is it acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
dmw7752

ok...well...I guess I'll keep doing it...haha
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
falconis

try carving , stay on your edge , weight on your front foot and tunr shoulders in desired turn, you'll
take shorter,faster and cleaner turns
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like you're not letting your board work for you. I got lucky when I was learning -- one of my good friends and still a good riding buddy spent four years teaching lessons at a local mountain. He always told me that a big part of carving is relying on your board to take you through the turn. It takes practice and maybe some proper instruction on how to actually do it. Just invest in a lesson or two, it'll turn your life around
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you're doing what is known as ruddering. It's kinda a bad habit. Check out this link. It's got some very good detailed info on how to properly turn along with other pointers. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...c-how-tos.html
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
RB89

dude I started snowboarding when I was 8 (I'm 18 now) and I only took 1 or 2 lessons when I was 8, everything else I just "taught myself" I guess you could say like you did. But I'll tell you what this year I'm spending the money and taking the beginner class again to catch up on everything I forgot in the past 10 years, then I'll take advance classes and maybe the terrain park classes next year.
If I were you I'd spend the money to learn it right.