Lib Tech T Rice Pro HP or TRS - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Talking Lib Tech T Rice Pro HP or TRS

G'day guys and gals,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and would love some input from you folks with more knowledge than me. I know the whole "which board?!" question is a common one but I think the opinions expressed tend to help many more than just the OPs. I've read a bunch of the threads here but none of them have directly answered what I need so here I am.

Here's my deal, I've only been riding for two years now but I'd say pretty confidently that I'm at an intermediate to advanced level in most conditions except rails and jibbing. I guess the idea of broken bones doesn't appeal to me as I'm in a pretty well payed industry that doesn't tolerate dometic injuries too well so I really only hit the park when it's on the way to the gondy, I don't really head up and down the park all day.

I would say I ride around 30% on the groomers, 60% off piste/chasing pow and the remaining 10% in the park hitting jumps mostly and the odd box (no rails really). In saying that whether I'm on a groomed run or in the deeper stuff I'm constantly looking for any features that I can hit and just generally fucking about doing presses, throwing a few spins in the mix etc. I do ride fast particularly in fresh snow and I prefer to ride pretty hard rather than just cruising around.

I'm about 6' on the dot, normally weigh around 190 lbs and have a size 10 hoof in Northwave Decade SLs.

I spent the last season riding a 161 Burton Joystick through Japan, Whistler and the French Alps and while it's a fun board to ride and is brilliant in deep snow it's a bit of a nightmare when bombing down anything a bit harder packed and ice is a definite nemises, great going straight line at a billion kms per hour but when carving the edge hold isn't great and I found myself washing out on occasion. I also found the 161 a little long for me in tighter tree runs and would like the option of a something a little shorter if it'll work out.

I'm sold on Lib Tech after spending some time on a mate's T Rice Limited and I'm tossing up between a T Rice Pro HP and the TRS. I know I'm on the heavier end for the 157 in both but I'd like to go a 157 if I could get away with it. Would I realistically have any issues belting through powder with a 157 In either board considering the TRice is a bit wider than average and the TRS is XC2?

I'm still a little confused regarding the difference between the two boards to be honest apart from the sintered base of the TRice vs the extruded on the TRS. The 2014 TRS has XC2 BTX but how is that going to make the board ride compared to last year's C2? Too many weird acronyms with too little explanation IMO.

As for bindings, I'm currently using Cartel ESTs but they obviously won't work with the Lib due to the whole EST thing. I like the look of the Burton Genesis reflex bindings but I don't know a whole lot about what might better suit. I'm not necessarily sold on Burton bindings so I'm open to other brands but I have been really impressed with the cartels.

Right, so there's a giant rant. Sorry about that but hopefully a few of you can help me out a bit with either board selection or binding recommendations, or both.

Thanks in advance guys, very much appreciated.
hardasacatshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd go Genesis with the TRS. I think you will have all the control you need from that setup. I rode the T. Rice with size 11 boots and it is just too wide to get that fine control needed when bombing down the hill. FWIW, I ride a 157 Proto at 210 lbs so you will be fine with the 157 TRS.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardasacatshead View Post
I'm about 6' on the dot, normally weigh around 190 lbs and have a size 10 hoof in Northwave Decade SLs.
I'm the same dimensions. 6' 190lbs and size 10 1/2
and I also ride a 157 proto. I started on 161w burton bullet. I was at you're same skill level when I got a new board that fit my size and style, it literally changed my world. You are headed in the right direction in my opinion.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Pretty good advice above already. One question in my mind: If the OP is riding/wants to ride "60% off piste/chasing pow", why the hell is he looking at true twin boards?
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Perfect candidate for a Banana Magic. If you are willing to spend the money on the T Rice HP, you should get a Magic based on your riding style.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Perfect candidate for a Banana Magic. If you are willing to spend the money on the T Rice HP, you should get a Magic based on your riding style.
Actually, he should get a directional board. But if he is set on a twin, then the Magic is indeed a better match than the T. Rice.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

The reason I'm interested in a true twin is that I try to ride switch as often as possible. I like the idea of being able to land switch as confidently as regular but also to be able to ride out of a jump switch while navigating away from a situation where I might cop a tree to the face. After all, I need my face for seeing stuff (read: perving on shelias).

I'm interested to know more about the Banana Magic suggestions though - what makes it a better fit than the T Rice? I've read a thread here about a few people raving about it but I don't really get where it sits in the Lib Tech lineup. Is it more of a TRS with better tech? It looks like there's very little camber under foot with the BTX profile, I'd like to progress further with jumps in the park also so is that shape still appropriate?

I'm willing to fork out the cash as this is going to be a long term board for me.

Thanks again, you lot are a big help.

Last edited by hardasacatshead; 08-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh I should also say, I love ollieing off shit all day long so does the Banana Magic have plenty of pop or it is more cruisey?

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

The reason I'm interested in a true twin is that I try to ride switch as often as possible. I like the idea of being able to land switch as confidently as regular but also to be able to ride out of a jump switch while navigating away from a situation where I might cop a tree to the face. After all, I need my face for seeing stuff (read: perving on shelias).
None of this requires a true twin. And most of the Mervin directional boards are essentially directional twin - just slightly setback. Seriously consider the Jamie Lynn, Hot Knife, etc.

Quote:
I'm interested to know more about the Banana Magic suggestions though - what makes it a better fit than the T Rice? I've read a thread here about a few people raving about it but I don't really get where it sits in the Lib Tech lineup. Is it more of a TRS with better tech? I'm willing to fork out the cash as this is going to be a long term board for me.
Magic is considerably different from both the T. Rice and the TRS. If anything I would describe it as a TRS for T. Rice conditions. Fundamentally it is all about messing about in pow and steeps. It does that by being pretty stiff (so like the T. Rice it can handle gnar) and having a pretty deep sidecut (so unlike the T. Rice or other free-ride sticks it is more for tight turns and less for charging). It is super playful in pow and gnar, but in a 'locked-in' kind of way as opposed to the more 'loose' TRS. However, because of the same factors it also a pretty squirrel-ly deck and not really for bombing, long drawn-out carves, etc.

For the intended purpose there might not be a better board - I really loved riding it. However, the thing is that most people rarely ride like that - both because of lack of right conditions and because of the riding style.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Oh I should also say, I love ollieing off shit all day long so does the Banana Magic have plenty of pop or it is more cruisey?

Cheers!
I think that question does not make sense: Having pop and being 'cruisey' are not opposites - there are plenty of cruiser boards that have great pop and lots of boards without much pop that are far from 'cruisey'...

To answer specifically about the Magic: It has decent/good pop, but is probably one of the least 'cruisey' decks (see my previous post about how it rides).