My turn to beg for advice - new equp - new rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default My turn to beg for advice - new equp - new rider

Hey guys, been kind of lurking for the past 2 weeks or so. But coming up in december there's a equipment sale here in madison and if I find something that you guys recommend I may buy boards + bindings for myself and my wife.

First me: 27 (super old)
5'11" - 175 lbs.
10.5 boot
I'm too old to do park stuff, and i don't want to knock my teeth out. So i'm looking for an all-mountain board. I'm a noob when it comes to boarding, only been out a couple times. Most of my snow surfing will be done in WI, but I do head out to the west every once and while. I don't care about having a board that is park capable, but i'd like one that has enough flex to make it easy enough to learn on.

What do you think? My idea is to find 2007/08 boards at this sale of models that you guys mention. Also what size should I focus on for all-mountain? 160cm? I've read all the reviews by BA, but it seems like most of his rides were park boards. My ideal riding will be pow and tru the trees, but i'm nowhere near that skill level yet.

Let me know what you think, and i'll provide the hot man love. or just a thank you. whichever works.
-snowjeeper
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

BTW while reading other advice threads people mention the rome anthem, and that board looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I'm not sure on the flex. It's also waayyy to expensive for me to buy a new one this year (09).

Also, looking for a board for my wife. She's like 5'4" 120 #s. Size 8 boot I believe. She has the same goals as me, but a little bit better rider.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't buy new. I got my Rome Anthem a couple years ago for 250 and it was only a season old. It wasn't just last season though, it had been ridden. But boards are cool like that because you can get them broken in.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
ToddOwnz

Cruise eBay. I got last year's Atomic Radon for 176 bucks

(This year's is $420!)

Last edited by ToddOwnz; 11-21-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What boards and lengths do you guys think i should check out for freeride/all mountain? Should I hamstring myself as a beginner and get a park board just so that I can control it? Some boards that caught my eye from BA's review thread are the Rossi Alias, K2 Jibpan, and the Nitro Wiig. I also found last years model of those boards for decent prices as well.
thanks!
-snowjeeper
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mid 150's would probably work I'm about your weight (but 4 inches taller) and I started out on a 154. It worked for 2 seasons before I needed a bigger board for the bigger hills. Still, if you spend ~200, it's going to be covered in what you WOULD spend on rentals in only 10 trips or so.

You don't want to start out on something too advanced or you will have a really hard time advancing and that's half the fun.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you only get a chance to go out a few times a year i'd buy used atleast up front as the others have said..ebay ..or even better craigslist and save on shipping and potentially shady boards by being able to inspect before you buy.

Only problem with most craigslist listings is they want to pair up boards & bindings and sometimes boots...so if you just want a board it maybe harder..but not impossible..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjeeper View Post
\.

First me: 27 (super old)
I'm too old to do park stuff, and i don't want to knock my teeth out.
I seriously hope you're joking dude.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenzo View Post
I seriously hope you're joking dude.
No kidding! I'm 26 and I don't feel old. If you want to hit the park just swing your walker at the kiddies and tell them to get off your lawn. It's your park, too.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
No kidding! I'm 26 and I don't feel old. If you want to hit the park just swing your walker at the kiddies and tell them to get off your lawn. It's your park, too.
Rofl, nice
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote