Motorized Freestyle Snowboarding Simulator? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Motorized Freestyle Snowboarding Simulator?

Hi Guys,

My name is George, from Melbourne, Australia. This post is to give a little sneak peek into a board project that a friend and I have been working on since 2010. The name is BajaBoard.

Words are cheap, so before I get into any of that, check out for yourself the attached photo to get an idea. We are working out of our garages, so it may not look the most polished.

BajaBoard started as an idea of creating a motorized board that snowboarders can enjoy in the off-season. Motorized boards are not new, but to date, they all have been more or less mobility scooters. We wanted one that can actually FREESTYLE. I'm not talking about a casual drift or an incidental jump off a mound. I'm talking serious air time, grinds, grabs and flips. Think Crusty Demons, think Nitro Circus.

So, we came up with the BajaBoard - for the extreme sports enthusiasts, the adrenalin junkies, the dare devils and perhaps a few nut cases. It is designed by board riders (and professional engineers) for board riders. Throw it into the car trunk or strap it to your roof rack. Turn your local park into a snowfield (or motocross arena) at your whim.

The machine you see in the photo is our Prototype Generation 1. It has not been refined or styled. From playing with this baby, we are now implementing all the lessons learnt into a Prototype Generation 2 in Sept. It will be lighter, meaner, slightly smaller, and better integrated.

The BajaBoard's proprietary design will offer:-

- Independent suspension & steering - to land BIG jumps and for responsive handling (dirt half pipes anyone?)
- Dynamic wheel behavior - stable at speed and easy to carve;
- Heaps of low-end torque, and a top speed on the flat in the order of 50km/h;
- Optimized engineering - strong enough for stunts, and weighing in sub-15kg (and like a bad strip poker player, we are constantly taking more off).

It will also feature a grind plate.

BajaBoard is past conceptual, but still relatively early-ish days. And if you are intrigued by what you see, we would greatly appreciate your support. Please LIKE our Facebook page (facebook.com/bajaboard), follow us on Twitter (@BajaBoard) and let others know.

And, of course, please feel free to comment or ask questions. Whilst it is a proprietary design, I will be as open as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6460.jpg (120.8 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by PingaAus1985; 08-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
PingaAus1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why the fuck does this even exist? I just want to shit on this thing.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you have any photos or video of it in action? Can't really get a solid idea of its intended purpose from that still shot. Does it strap to your feet? How is it ridden? Is there a way to run-out of anything or bail if things go bad? Or is it affixed to you a la scary Tranformer?

My tendency for self-preservation is piqued.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gone

Default Wow!

Looks sick. Don't know why BurtonAvenger wants to shit on it, might be sarcasm, also might be that he likes Burton, whatev, but it really looks cool! Are the shocks from a bicycle? It looks like fox rear wheel shocks. Idk
DCsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

while i'd never want to ride one, i'd most definitely like to watch someone else get broke off on that thing... sorry, but it looks like it has a bad time written all over it!
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'd ride it down the path it is on. But thats all.
rfalls86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looks like a great way to die.
miplatt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsnow View Post
Looks sick. Don't know why BurtonAvenger wants to shit on it, might be sarcasm, also might be that he likes Burton, whatev, but it really looks cool! Are the shocks from a bicycle? It looks like fox rear wheel shocks. Idk
Does it look like I was being sarcastic douche juice? Remove head from ass, wipe shit from eyes, then bring a more relevant post to the topic at hand.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gone

Default Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Does it look like I was being sarcastic douche juice? Remove head from ass, wipe shit from eyes, then bring a more relevant post to the topic at hand.
It's ok, I have built in shitwipers. As for the more relevant post, how about Burton. AAre you for or against Burton. Its hard to tell from your name.
DCsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Judging from BA's reaction I foresee that this will be reviewed in the "Bad ideas" section of angrysnowboarder.com within the next 48 hours.

Don't know man... It looks insane but perhaps not neccessarily in a good way. I feels conceptually wrong with a motorised snowboards since it's supposed to go downhill with the help of gravity. Wouldn't you have been better off motorising a skateboard instead? As for snowboards on wheels / snowboards on ground I'd say plain mountainboarding/dirtboarding/freebording is more true to the original concept and just overall better.
Anticrobotic is offline   Reply With Quote