4th yr snowboarder, advice on my new board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4th yr snowboarder, advice on my new board?

Hey Everyone!

Gettin more and more stoked for the winter now and I figured i'd make a post here for some much needed advice.

I've been boarding for 3 seasons so far, I started with a lib tech skate banana as I learned to board, now that I feel I prefer the freeride style of boarding/terrain I want to get a board that specializes more towards that.

As I am shying away from the parks more and more lately. Gettin old' and gettin hurt sucks for work. lol. After my research I picked the Neversummer 2014 Cobra, it sounds like it would be ideal, and the neversummer graphics are really my style. I really love my summit split i picked up for doing backcountry... but the summit split is too heavy too much of a pow board for riding all over the hill if i want to. I really love doing cliff drops and tree runs now.

I want something a bit more normal camber as well now cause I rode my buddies Nitro Blacklight and I really loved how carving felt with it... so I felt the rocker-camber from NS would bs a good compromise.

I'm a pretty light dude, only 150lbs and the boards weight could get tiring for me after a while... besides the cobra, is there any other boards someone could recommend?

Thanks!!
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
I want something a bit more normal camber as well now cause I rode my buddies Nitro Blacklight and I really loved how carving felt with it... so I felt the rocker-camber from NS would bs a good compromise.

If you liked the trad. camber, I'd say, camrock (i.e. rocker-camber-rocker, i.e. camber between feet) is the better compromise. The rocker between the feet of NS doesn't feel much like a camber . Sure, the NS Raptor carves nicely, but straight lining with it feels pretty wiggly compared to a camber/camrock.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check out the Lib Tech Hot Knife, or any C3BTX (camber dominant) board for that matter. Love the way I can lay a carve on hardpack wtih my Hot Knife. It's fairly poppy as well.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
I'm a pretty light dude, only 150lbs and the boards weight could get tiring for me after a while... besides the cobra, is there any other boards someone could recommend?
What hills, what type of snow do you normally ride?

When you say freeride do you spend more time on or off-piste? (on piste = groomed runs)
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll check out those boards tonight

I mostly ride off piste for sure, up here in the rockies near calgary, ab.

Boarding Trip Feb 2013! - YouTube (here is vid of a trip me and my buddies did, easiest to explain this way hope im not breaking a any rules, im in the white and black and green backpack) this is what I mainly ride... lol

Thats sweet I didnt know you could get camber dominant mixed camber boards!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Ride Berzerker. Aimed at same application as the Cobra (all-mountain freeride with lots of off-piste/powder) but with more camber in the profile. Forgiving enough for intermediate riders and with enough upside for Jake Blauvelt to do crazy things on it.
And the 2012-13 version is selling for less than $300 all over the place these days.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Berzerker recommendation is solid. A Smokin KT22, Yes Pick Your Line or DC Devun Walsh could be good choices as well. There really are a lot of decent boards for the riding you want to do and grabbing last years while they are on sale would be a good idea.

Edit: Nice vid, looks like it was a super fun trip.

Last edited by Sudden_Death; 08-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Sudden_Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Ya ya! You ride very similar stuff to me, same parts of the hill etc. I much prefer a camber dominant hybrid for our snow.

I would look seriously at the Prior mens freeride for an advanced board for our hills! Construction quality is bloody good on their boards. My fiancee has the womens version and we live in Airdrie if you want to check it out.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ohh thanks for the advice guys!!

The libtech hot knife looks pretty interesting!! and I love my banana it's held up super well over the years, I think i'd trust mervin now... the Ride berzerker and KT22 looks pretty sick too, that bummer warranty is a awesome idea too... damn I need to do more youtubing now lol.

Yeah that prior men's freeride looks pretty interesting too! 699$ custom build tho, i've never heard anything bad about prior, ever tho. hmm

from that video i described, what kind of damp and flex ratings would you say would be idea for that kinda riding? like... 4-5 on flex and 5-6 on damp?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll check out those boards tonight

Boarding Trip Feb 2013! - YouTube (here is vid of a trip me and my buddies did, easiest to explain this way hope im not breaking a any rules, im in the white and black and green backpack) this is what I mainly ride... lol

Thats sweet I didnt know you could get camber dominant mixed camber boards!
You get an idea on all the profiles here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
"Hybrid camber" or RCR are other ways to call the camber-between-feet-with-rocker-tail-nose boards (vs. "hybrid rocker" or CRC for those with rocker between feet).

I like RCR most. You get the advantage of camber while charging groomers and the early rising nose helps for float in pow.

BTW: Can't see the vid since it's not working on mobiles.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote