New Snowboard help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Snowboard help

Hey everyone
I am looking to get a new snowboard and wanted a little bit of advice.
First off I live in Australia and normally ride here at either Thredbo or Perisher and also Queenstown, NZ.

I would consider myself an intermediate rider who is comfortable on blues and blacks. I don't ride much park but I like to hit little kickers while I'm going down normal runs and I wouldn't mind starting to ride the park abit more because I do enjoy it. I don't really get to ride powder at all. I am 5 foot 11 weigh around 200 lbs and wear size 12 thirty two focus boa's.

I currently ride a 158W Rome Tour which I do enjoy however a few days ago I demo'd a Burton Custom Flying V 162W and found it a much more comfortable and stable ride especially at speeds but I felt it was just abit too stiff for my liking. So could anyone suggest a good board and size for me.

Some boards I have found that I like the look of however I'm not too sure are right for me are the Lib Tech Skunk Ape, Never Summer Legacy and Bataleon Goliath but I am open to all suggestions.

Please let me know if I haven't given enough info and thank you so much in advance for any help. Also price isn't too much of an issue because it will be a birthday present from my girlfriend and I will just chip in the extra if it goes over her budget.
jboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Keep the GF.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Keep the GF.
While correct, not helpful. Next time I expect constructive advice or for you to die drowning in your own urine. Your choice.

Anyyyyywayyy, The Goliath is really the only thing that might be "less" than the Custom. The Skunk Ape and Legacy are really probably more. Look at the Process X Flying V.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Anyway jboards, welcome to the forum. As Sauron here shows, there's lots of expertise available if you can ask focused questions.

Personally I haven't owned enough different boards yet to comment on that kind of thing.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Keep the GF.
Haha that's the plan! She's actually been pressuring me to choose one and wants to pay for board and bindings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
While correct, not helpful. Next time I expect constructive advice or for you to die drowning in your own urine. Your choice.

Anyyyyywayyy, The Goliath is really the only thing that might be "less" than the Custom. The Skunk Ape and Legacy are really probably more. Look at the Process X Flying V.
Thanks! So do you think a 162 would be a good size or a 159? And would it matter that this is mid-wide? I was told that with size 12 boots that I should just go wide.

Also could you maybe suggest one more board? maybe a Lib or a Rome or even another burton? Just incase I can't find this anywhere because I only have a few stores close by that don't stock too much stuff.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Another Burton, maybe the Sherlock. It has blown out contact points and a bit more pow oriented shape but is fun all over the mountain. Less carbon than the Custom so it's not as demanding.

I rarely recommend anything Mervin. I've never ridden one better than OK.

From Rome It would probably be the Agent Rocker.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Another Burton, maybe the Sherlock. It has blown out contact points and a bit more pow oriented shape but is fun all over the mountain. Less carbon than the Custom so it's not as demanding.

I rarely recommend anything Mervin. I've never ridden one better than OK.

From Rome It would probably be the Agent Rocker.
Like I said I'm not too fussed on the brand just my locals stock mainly Rome, Burton and Mervin. I called my local stores and none of them had any process's in a size I wanted soo I will see if they have any of the others you suggested and if they don't I'll check out buying one online because I really liked the look of the 2014 Restricted Process.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll hopefully be on a new board very soon.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Simmilar Riders

Hi Bud,

I can see that were sorth of simmilar as Im 5'11" and 222 Lbs and wear size 12 boots... I come from a surf and Skate background so I usually ride looking for tings to hit, like to seek out fresh snow and draw my own lines as much as possible, fortunetly or not I've always ridden Burton Boards, so I can only give you feed back on them... I use to ride a 158 Wide Burton Joystick; Rockered board, and replaced it with a 150 Burton Nug, I love the down size of it, it's a board I have tons of fun with and have been in big mountain conditions with waist high fresh snow and loved it.

Im thinking of experimenting with a 146 this season... will give my feedback when I do, but for now, thats what I recommend.

If your in to riding super fast, it might not be the best board for you, but if you like to hit jumps and tricks, its the way to go.

also if you go Burton, I find boots and bindings are very compatible with each other and not really like other make boots, they just dont stay on the bindings as well, also one of the benifits of Burton is their channel binding set up, I personally love it.

Hope the infor helped some,
Ramonio is offline   Reply With Quote