Its coming...pow! Burton Trick Pony vs Rome Mod Rocker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Its coming...pow! Burton Trick Pony vs Rome Mod Rocker

Leaves are colouring, times are changing, board shops are full, and its time to empty out my wallet

Been working at Sunshine Village for the past the 3years riding my Burton Sherlock. An amazing board that could handle it all from park- to endless pow lines in Revelstoke. But now the poor girl has over 300 days on her and has become quite the noodle (infinte ride? not so much..)

So im looking to grab my new all mountain killer. With so much powder here in the rockies a board that can swim deep and make the mountain your park.

Im 6ft, 160lbs on a goodday, and have been riding for 12 years now. can anyone fill me in on the Mod Rocker, and the Burton Trick Pony? I LOVED my sherlock and I hear the trick pony is an amped up version, while the mod rocker may be my first step away from a burton stick.

also interested in the Rome Agent rocker, and of course another Sherlock depending on how much they changed since my sherlock. Thanks so much, think snow and heres to the new sesaon. cheers
Domafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
koi
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

if you're a burton fan you should check out the antler.
koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mod Rocker is a lot like the Sherlock in my opinion minus the awesome rocker/tip/pow shape the Sherlock has. Fun board and you can boost with it. But you are correct in the Trick Pony being the Sherlock on crack. As you know the Sherlock I would go with the Trick Pony for an easy transition from one deck to another.

You guys seen snow up there yet?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

No new snow that has stayed yet (random flurries here and there though), but the pre-season work push has started for sure.
Domafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Mod Rocker is a lot like the Sherlock in my opinion minus the awesome rocker/tip/pow shape the Sherlock has. Fun board and you can boost with it. But you are correct in the Trick Pony being the Sherlock on crack. As you know the Sherlock I would go with the Trick Pony for an easy transition from one deck to another.

You guys seen snow up there yet?
I don't know if I'd really say the Trick Pony is just a Sherlock on Crack my esteemed colleague. The Sherlock is a directional twin, has squeezebox, and Flying-V. The Trick Pony is true twin and Flat Top with more carbon in the tips. Both are more or less aimed at the same style of riding, but built on different profiles. Burton has had a shaky history with flat rise rocker. I do have high hopes for the Trick Pony though.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh watch out for that shaky history LOL

anyway i ride Sunshine 75% of the time with Revy, Kickinghorse and Red mixed in. I've been riding a sherlock 160 for 3 seasons but last year i rode the trick pony 162.

Its very similar to the sherlock as it floats pretty good in the pow. since its not as rockered i find that the nose doesn't pop up out of the snow quite as easily. i find its easier to land on it doesn't scoot out from under you as easy as the sherlock if you're in the back seat a bit too much. it will rise up pretty fast though if you kind of scoot it forward and pressure the tip thats in the snow .

i found the sherlock hooked around on me occasionally due to the very deep sidecut ( i pressume) especially if i landed toe edge heavy, but it usually wasn't a big deal since because of the rocker you could slide it back around without much thought. the trick pony still has this but not as much and its slightly less forgiving i found. it doesn't 'slide' around as much as the sherlock if that makes sense

if found ollieing on it easier than the sherlock, it seemed easier to pressure up the edges behind my back foot and snap off them if need be. again to be expected since its mostly flat

i found it was less squirrelly at very high speeds (like straight lining the flat part of delirium dive to get to the gully if i didn't make that stupid traverse on riders right lol). i find v rockered boards to get a bit unnerving at terminal velocity because for one i'm leaning back because i ride almost centered and two the rocker is pronounced. so at very high speeds going straight in pow really only half the board is in/on the snow. the trick pony is not as unnerving (but still nowhere near as nice as a malolo or something like that)

I never had any issues with the sherlock on groomed runs, and i don't really ride when its icy. i found them to be mostly indistinguishable in those conditions apart from the easier ollieing.

so to make a long story short i'd say if the sherlock is familiar to you you could describe the trick pony as a slight "more aggressive" version of it meaning it has less of the rocker looseness, slightly less float. slightly more response and stability. all of which would be expected i guess

hope that helps.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
Oh watch out for that shaky history LOL.
Seeing as how their first attempt at flat, the Fix, was a fail. Then when they added a bit of rocker to it it didn't take off again and they scrapped that profile for a couple years. Brought it back on the SuperHero which I have heard some bad things about and the Lipstick which just didn't sell well. So yeah, watch out with Burton and Flat to rocker, they haven't demonstrated too well in the past they know how to build a board with it.

Also, buy my things?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

the fact that you make comments like "heard some bad things" reveals you are a clown. i've heard bad things about everything. ive heard good things. from who? its meaningless unproductive nonsense.

plus how do you know or define that a board was a 'failure"/ thats some of the dumbest shit ive ever heard on a message board and thats saying ALOT

your rep precedes you. you are an argumentative clown. we all know it. stop proving it.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
the fact that you make comments like "heard some bad things" reveals you are a clown. i've heard bad things about everything. ive heard good things. from who? its meaningless unproductive nonsense.

plus how do you know or define that a board was a 'failure"/ thats some of the dumbest shit ive ever heard on a message board and thats saying ALOT

your rep precedes you. you are an argumentative clown. we all know it. stop proving it.
Yes heard some bad things. From my coworker and a few other friends that rode it. Is that not the exact same thing we do here? It is in case you're too stupid to answer that.

I consider a board a failure when it rides like shit, doesn't sell well, gets discontinued, and its headlining tech is dropped from the whole line. Or is that somehow a success to your thick head?

I'm argumentative? Who started this one by calling out one of the others comments? Right, that was you Lol'ing at me warning the OP that Burton hasn't been able to make a hit using the camber profile in question. Its a valid concern, moron.

I obviously struck a nerve mentioning that a board you like has the possibility of not being so good. You'll also notice I said I'm hoping it is good. Get your head out of your ass.

Oh and I'm smarter than you.

Also, buy my things?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're forgetting the Root last year - such an awesome board and yes it's flattop. Yeah yeah - but it got discontinued - but not because it was a crappy ride
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, mod, pow, rome, trick pony