Can't decide between the two - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't decide between the two

Hey guys, I'm new here and came for an advice. I'm a big guy. 6'1, 190ish lbs, size 12 boots. I have been snowboarding for about 7 years. I like carving and going fast. I would love to go in the powder in the near future but for now some fast groomers is my main terrain. I've been renting boards up till now and tried a lot of different brands and shapes. I like the classic camber Burton boards and I'm currently looking at the Burton Custom (165W) or The Burton Custom X (164W). What I like about them both is that they both have camber, frostbite edges and a stiff construction. I love a responsive board and a one that can hold it's edge at high speed. So the reason why I haven't just chosen the X is because I hear that it is more for pros and well I don't consider myself a one now. I can ride any type of groomer from green to dual black (as long as these have not just sheet ice. Rental boards cand hold their edge on the ice and that is one of the reason why I am looking to buy my own). So is the X really that big of a difference compared to standard Custom?
MartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Short answer, yes. And don't worry about not beng a "pro". You'll grow into the board. Better to get sonething better now and then not have to replace 2 years down the road.

Other options tjat fit your riding are the Ride Highlife, K2 Slayblade, Yes PYL, or a Salomon Burner.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Short answer, yes. And don't worry about not beng a "pro". You'll grow into the board. Better to get sonething better now and then not have to replace 2 years down the road.

Other options tjat fit your riding are the Ride Highlife, K2 Slayblade, Yes PYL, or a Salomon Burner.
Pretty much what nivek said. Going from renting to owning a board will make a big difference in your progression. As long as a board fits your riding style, which the one you mention and others the nivek mentioned sound like they do, you will get use to the way a board rides pretty quick.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll check those out as well.
MartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

The Custom X is a very sweet board (bit work in pow, but will do for occasional laps). Don't worry too much about the ratings... It's a board with which us normal high intermediate-mid advanced or whatever(!), can have a lot of fun with. If camber is your thing, you like to carve and bomb groomers, it's a great board.

Tried the Highlife only for half a day on groomers and liked that one a lot as well (no idea how it performs in pow).

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

i hav an idiom select 2007 (whick is a custom x) and it can carve as hard as you push. with the right edge bevel, even on ice its like a big ice skate.i live on the north east and i break it out on icy days. it has a shit tone of pop to, good for taking off jumps but no landing dampness. this is a fall line board for packed snow, or a good bordercross board. not so good in snow 8 inches or deeper, its a lot of work to keep the nose up and touchy in slow powder carves
DaveMcI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, custom, custom x