GOR-TEX Soft shell versus Pro shell versus Performance shell - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
slushpunk

Default GOR-TEX Soft shell versus Pro shell versus Performance shell

Originally I was looking at a Burton AK Performance 2L Down jacket
but a few of my friends said I was going to be
way to hot, even when it's generally cold and damp in whistler.
So I decided to look at the Burton AK Continuum 3L Soft shell where it wouldn't be insulated ,
and my friends are saying that the soft shells sucks, and I should be looking at a Pro Shell.

Very confused

I want a jacket that will be dry, warm, but usualble on warm days

So it's other the

1. Burton AK Continuum 3L Soft shell
2. Burton AK 2L Down Performance shell
3. Burton AK 3L Pitto jacket Pro shell

and same with my pants

I had the Burton AK 2L Stagger pants Performance shell,
and I returned them at got the Burton AK 3L HOVER pants Soft shell

Not sure if that was the right decision

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im looking at some similar gear and finally got to try some on today.

The AK 2L Down Jacket I tried on (Stagger?) was warm...then again I was in the store. I then tried on an AK shell, and Im thinking this might be the better route. Im thinking a wind/waterproof shell would work nice with a fleece or hoody.

Curious to everyone else's thoughts. Not sure this helped at all, but consider it a free bump!
switchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
megladan

i have ridden semi deep powder in a soft shell they're great. i have a columbia titanium its got wrist gasket things no waist gator, but you can cinch it.waterproof, breathable, when its cold i wear a northface syn. down vest.

Last edited by megladan; 11-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
wbsr

Nothing wrong with a soft shell, but I prefer the gore-tex pro. nice and light, yet waterproof/breathable. on colder days wear a thick fleece, on warm days, by itself.
Here in Whistler, it generally stays pretty warm (around -5) so a down jacket is overkill. buy anything but a down jacket for Whistler.

why sticking to Burton??, imo they are overpriced junk (fine for 1 season, but not built to last). companies like arcteryx,north face, patagonia all produce much better quality stuff (still expensive though)
Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbsr View Post
Nothing wrong with a soft shell, but I prefer the gore-tex pro. nice and light, yet waterproof/breathable. on colder days wear a thick fleece, on warm days, by itself.
Here in Whistler, it generally stays pretty warm (around -5) so a down jacket is overkill. buy anything but a down jacket for Whistler.

why sticking to Burton??, imo they are overpriced junk (fine for 1 season, but not built to last). companies like arcteryx,north face, patagonia all produce much better quality stuff (still expensive though)
Just throwing in Mountain Hardware as well, they are owned by North Face and make some of their high quality jackets. You can get a Mtn Hardware goretex performance shell for about 250...400 for pro...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
slushpunk

so what's the problem with this jacket than

Burton AK Continuum 3L Soft shell
Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
THE OFF PHISTE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Just throwing in Mountain Hardware as well, they are owned by North Face.
no the original owner of north face started Mountain Hardware because they would not let him buy the machines during the CH11
he got some of the north face machines
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
wbsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slushpunk View Post
so what's the problem with this jacket than

Burton AK Continuum 3L Soft shell
nothing is wrong, and I have never personally owned a Burton jacket, but I have known plenty of people who have bought Burton jackets and pants and have been unhappy with the durability of them.

that jacket is fine when brand new, take good care of it and it will be great for a season. just don't expect it to last forever.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chunk Dawz

Just got my new AK 2L Stagger jacket delivered last week. According to the burton website, this is the performance shell jacket.
It's exactly what I was looking for - light weight and gore-tex. Looking forward to actually wearing it in anger!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbsr View Post
nothing is wrong, and I have never personally owned a Burton jacket, but I have known plenty of people who have bought Burton jackets and pants and have been unhappy with the durability of them.

that jacket is fine when brand new, take good care of it and it will be great for a season. just don't expect it to last forever.
You are spewing complete heresay. Don't spread news like this unless it's actually true. I've had 4 Burton jackets, 2 AK and 2 Ronin 20K jackets, and a few pairs of AK pants (Cyclic and Hover). Burton's AK line is guaranteed for life so if it stops functioning, they'll replace or fix it (I warrantied a pair of Cyclic pants with a broken zipper and they replaced them). They aren't ask "no questions asked" as Patagonia but if you've got your receipt, they'll cover you.

Anyway, all of my AK stuff is still functioning perfectly after years of use. I also have an Arcteryx shell and it's great too, but seriously, you're speculating like a ridiculous Burton hating fanboy. Burton isn't above criticism but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Petey; 11-24-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Petey is offline   Reply With Quote