Help a Brother out: Board for Large Dudes - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
pgroove

Default Help a Brother out: Board for Large Dudes

Hi All, I'm a pretty big guy (6-4, 225, size 12 boot) and I'm having trouble finding the right sized board and would really appreciate your expertise. I'm getting back into snowboarding after several years away (moved to SoCal) and am looking to upgrade my 10 year old tank of board, the K2 Fatbob.

I am a typical freeride rider, and spend minimal time in the park, although I do like to hit some kickers when cruising down the mountain. I've been looking at the Burton Mayhem 165W but I'm worried that it's too wide, at 26.8. It's new this year so there isn't much out there on it. I've also seen some good deals on last year's Burton Royale (166 or 162) and the Ride Decade (165).

The problem I'm seeing is that I am at the upper weight range for these board, which say 220+. The salesman at the local board shop was pushing me to a 168 Ride Yukon which is more than I want to spend a more board than I think I need. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
pgroove

I'd also appreciate any other suggestions you may have. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm weigh more than that and I'm on a Forum Raider 163 wide. great board, faster than I am and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgroove View Post
The problem I'm seeing is that I am at the upper weight range for these board, which say 220+. The salesman at the local board shop was pushing me to a 168 Ride Yukon which is more than I want to spend a more board than I think I need. Help!
It sounds like you have a budget in mind. How much are you looking at spending? There may still be opportunities to pick up last year's boards much cheaper than '09 boards.

You seem to be looking at the right size board and size 12 puts you in the zone for a mid-wide to wide board (depending on stance and physical boots size), so I'd say you're on the right track there. I wouldn't have thought that a 26.8 width would be too much of an issue for the type of riding you and to do. Chances are that a new board would be a significant improvement over your previous experiences on a 10 year old board anyway, and I don't think being towards the upper weight range for the board will cause too many issues, unless you are planning on rocketing down the slopes.

Bear in mind there are probably other options too, like the Forum suggested above, and Atomic. I'm sure I've seen a thread like this fairly recently, so it's worth doing a search here. Also bear in mind that I'm not a guru.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
pgroove

Right on. Thanks so much for your confirmation. I'm following a loose budget of $400 for the board but would be happy to pay less. I'll take a look at the Atomics and Forums as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i weigh about 220lbs and anything mid to high 60s in length should be good.

size 10US boots means i can get away with a standard width board too;
and if you have reasonably high binder angles, so might you.

i don't think you should find too much trouble finding a plank the right fit for you.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
chaser

for what it's worth, I'm 6'5", 220ish with a size 12 shoe. I wear a size 13 boot in DC brand and have an Atomic Cold Smoke and an Atomic Axum (both recommended by folks on this site). I just picked up the Axum this year for more of a park board. It seems like a good board the 2 times I've only ridden it this year. I just wanted to let you know I have no problem with toe drag on either of these boards.