Snowboard Advice Please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard Advice Please

Hello,

Please can you give me some advice. I have been snowboarding for about 3 years but only manage to go for a week at a time every 6 months or so and would like to buy my first board. My details are below.

If you could answer the following I would be grateful:

1. I have been riding rental boards and I know they differ but generally do they tend to be towards the soft or stiff end of flex?

2. I normally ride a 155 board...I am happy with this size but from what I have read it seems a little small for my height/weight. Any advice on whether to go with a longer board?

3. I have seen a board that is a DC flex rating of 7...will this be too stiff for my height/weight? Would you recommend a softer board for someone who has never own a board before?

4. Any advice on buying a DC Tone 2013, DC Ply 2013, Burton Process Flying V and Burton Blunt? Would one in particular and if so why? I am particularly interested in finding out about the DC tone as there is not much info out there about it.

5. I am also considering a Burton Clash but am worried that I may out grow it quickly and as it seems to be aimed at beginners I am concerned that I may not progress on this as much as the others?

7. Any recommendations of other makes of boards would be welcome too.

Weight 75kg
Height: 175 cm (5ft 9")
Boot size: US9
Ability: Intermediate? I can happily go down blue/black slopes linking turns together etc..
Riding style: All Mountain, spend most of my time on groomers - Never been in the park but would like to give it a go!
Budget: Anything that keeps the wife happy (anything upto 600usd)
Location of riding: Worldwide but mainly Japan and Korea

A lot of questions I know, thank you,

JC

Last edited by Cornesy3000; 09-03-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Cornesy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gone

Default I recommend

I recommend the DC Mega, Signal Park OG, Burton trick pony, and the capita black snowboard of death or the capita ultrafear
DCsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I recommend Burton Custom X or K2 WWW.
firlefranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Question :D thanks for the hint Donutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by firlefranz View Post
Could you elaborate why you think the Custom X is the right board for this OP? Not the first board I'd think of for someone who's insecure about flex...

Edit: the thumbsup in the title should have been a questionmark (tiny little smartphone!)... Can't correct it anymore

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 09-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsnow View Post
I recommend the DC Mega, Signal Park OG, Burton trick pony, and the capita black snowboard of death or the capita ultrafear
Ignore this bad advice
Quote:
and this terrible advice too.

Flex has little to do with your weight. You want to look at boards that fit the style of riding you want to do then choose your size based on your weight. A softer board will be more forgiving and park orienter and as stiffness increases so does response and stability (generalized). What brands are you able to readily get locally as it appears you're located in asia?

One other thing to consider if you're primarily riding in Japan is powder performance.

Last edited by bseracka; 09-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
two opposite sides of the spectrum...
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Let me help..

1. I have been riding rental boards and I know they differ but generally do they tend to be towards the soft or stiff end of flex? Depends where you get them. I'd say rental boards are most likely going to medium flex to accommodate riders of varying skill levels.

2. I normally ride a 155 board...I am happy with this size but from what I have read it seems a little small for my height/weight. Any advice on whether to go with a longer board? For your height, a 155 is probably fine for the type of riding you're doing. You could size up if you wanted something a little bigger. 158 would be fine. I would not size down, unless you're trying to ride park A LOT and want a deck that can jib and spin easily. I'm 5'10" and ride a 156 most days.

3. I have seen a board that is a DC flex rating of 7...will this be too stiff for my height/weight? Would you recommend a softer board for someone who has never own a board before? Flex ratings vary between companies, so don't take DC's rating system as final. If its a 7 (10 being very stiff, 1 being very soft) then you should be fine. If you're an intermediate rider just looking to ride and not necessarily "specialize" in park, big mountain, pipe, etc, the mid-stiff flex rating will probably work well for you. Regardless of what board you get, you will get used to the flex and it won't detract from your riding that much, if at all.

4. Any advice on buying a DC Tone 2013, DC Ply 2013, Burton Process Flying V and Burton Blunt? Would one in particular and if so why? I am particularly interested in finding out about the DC tone as there is not much info out there about it. I don't know much about these boards and can't speak to them.

5. I am also considering a Burton Clash but am worried that I may out grow it quickly and as it seems to be aimed at beginners I am concerned that I may not progress on this as much as the others? Again, I do not know much about the Clash but I think you're right and it is a board more suited for beginners. It doesn't mean you can't ride it though. Progression is not dependent on the board you have.

7. Any recommendations of other makes of boards would be welcome too Check out the GNU Carbon Credit. Its a solid mid-level board thats not too expensive that will be a deck that you can use for a few years. My friend has one and loves it - its a "do anything" board. Hope this helps.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Could you elaborate why you think the Custom X is the right board for this OP? Not the first board I'd think of for someone who's insecure about flex...

Edit: the thumbsup in the title should have been a questionmark (tiny little smartphone!)... Can't correct it anymore
Sorry, was being ironic because of the advices above. I noone realized it I guess.
firlefranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, was being ironic because of the advices above. I noone realized it I guess.
I thought it was pretty funny.

However if you could incorporate Never Summer into the recommendation then you're really hitting ultimate irony.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post

When you tried to edit your post, did you try "go advanced" ?

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, burton, first board, new board