New board, MTX? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mendel

Default New board, MTX?

So it's that time again, and this year I got some green in my pocket.
With a budget of around $600, not wanting to spend more than $400 though, I'm looking into a board with magnetraction. I looked on lib-tech's website and most of those with mtx also have the bananna tech, which I believe is more for park and such.
I might try a little park, but I'm going to be freeriding it much much more and I love carving as much as the next guy. I was looking at some of Burton's freeride models, but because I live in D.C. I can't escape the ice, so I told myself my next board will have mtx, no debate lol. Any recommendations as to what I should buy? I noticed lib-tech is not the only company that makes boards with mtx.

Btw:
5'6"
140lbs.
Size 10 boot. (I hate overhang)
I have a pair of sexy Cartels which I have used for one season and will be accompanying me.

Edit: I have been snowboarding for 4 years, 3 with my Burton Cruzer. And I can easily tear up mid-atlantic double blacks. I went to Bristol once in NY, amazing haha, I got thru blacks easily there too; so I'm no pro, but I can hold my own.

Last edited by Mendel; 11-24-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There are other companies too, Never Summer has their Vario Grip, and im pretty sure some others like Rome/K2/Bataleon have their own as well...

Also dont necessarily just assume that rocker = park board thats not necessarily true. While some of the banana boards maybe more park oriented boards due to their flex and design not all rockers are that way.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mendel

What is this rocker? And I was reading up on bananna-tech (w/e) and it replaces camber with rocker?? Laymans terms please lol. And any suggestions since I tear up mountain and not park, what benefits would bananna provide?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
What is this rocker? And I was reading up on bananna-tech (w/e) and it replaces camber with rocker?? Laymans terms please lol. And any suggestions since I tear up mountain and not park, what benefits would bananna provide?
Take a look at this thread that compares them.
SierraSnowboard.com: Rocker Snowboard Comparisons
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Phoenix

If you want to save cash just look for last years lib-tech TRS MTX
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mendel

Okay, so I don't know if I explained myself clearly.
Is there a reason I should get anything with bananna-tech?
And last year's lib-tech is what I was looking at, what does the TRS mean, like all these stupid supposed boarder lingo, telling it straight might not look as pretty but would be nice on the website, lib-tech's of which is shit.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Banana will naturally give you more float in powder. It will also make presses easy as hell.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Phoenix

Yeah libs site is a little difficult, the TRS is a model they make and probably the best suited to what you are after. If you are going to be riding groomers and not hitting any significant powder than I would say banana is not really required, MTX or magna-traction as it is called will help with edge grip on piste and would be advantagous for you. What board have you been looking at? On their site if you click on a board and then maximise the screen you will see a little table in the bottom left corner which shows the boards stats when you click and hold on it. As previously said banana will help with presses and powder but if you spend 90% of the time on groomers carving I would save the cash and get last years TRS MTX
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mendel

So,
MTX=magnetraction
or not? Yeah their site is some sauce.
I've been looking at all of them, Idk which I should be looking at, they're all trippy looking and I kinda posted so that the GREAT snowboardingforum.com community can help me out. I have no problem with last year's models, there is not difference in tech, just different designs. I'd like to start hitting a few jumps, but buttering is not my forte at all; I can see myself spending easily >95% of my time downhilling on piste.

Can I just get some suggestions as to what boards I should be looking at?
And where do I buy these? They don't sell directly and none of the shops around me have them, at least not major shops.
Anyone in MD/VA/DC area (or Florida, if they have snowboard shops down here) who knows of a shop that sells lib-tech, please let me know.
Also, I read that Gnu has licensed magnetraction from libtech, trudat?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

GNU and LibTech are the same company.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote