In my search for knowledge on boots ... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default In my search for knowledge on boots ...

... prior to walking into a store, I found these two pages related to boot fitting:

Before You Buy Boots
How To Fit Boots

Are these a fair overview of the process, particularly in relation to assessing the flex of a particular pair of boots?

I'm going to what I believe is a reputable store, and the guy I've been speaking to seems to know his shit, but a little knowledge isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by WhistlerBound; 11-24-2008 at 08:05 PM.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bump. Anyone?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fallen Saint

Though they are simplistic those articles are fairly accurate. The biggest thing to keep in mind when you're buying your boots is to get a pair that feels right. Pay attention to where your weight presses your foot into the boot and any pinch points or chafing areas as a lot of boots have special designs in order to hold your heel in place better.
Try this guide for more information alsohere or you could give Ryan a call at 1-800-800-1953. He's super helpful and really knows his stuff.
THe other thing to keep in mind is that most manufacturers foot beds are generalized to fit the average foot types. This is a falacy as every foot is different. So you may need to get a custom foot bed (like Superfeet) in order for your boot to be comfortable.
The only other thing I can tell you is to ask about which sizing and styles of different companies. For example 32s tend to be really wide and solomans run a little smaller than the average (European company)

*EDIT* One of those guides says something about being able to bend your ankle while your foot is in the boot? I don't know about everyone else but I can't really do that and I'm not sure you're suppose to since it would weaken your power transfer to the board I would think.

Last edited by Fallen Saint; 11-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Saint View Post
*EDIT* One of those guides says something about being able to bend your ankle while your foot is in the boot? I don't know about everyone else but I can't really do that and I'm not sure you're suppose to since it would weaken your power transfer to the board I would think.
Thanks for the advice.

I guess in particular I was talking about the bit where he says "... and flex your ankle as if you were pushing the gas pedal on your car. If you are unable to do this, the boot is too stiff and will severely impede your progress as a snowboarder." I'm not sure if this is the same bit you're referring to, but I wasn't sure if you should be able to flex the boot like that or not. Coming from a skiing background the concept of snowboarding levels of flex in boots and bindings is a bit foreign to me.

Also, I'm looking for a freeride setup and at the moment I'm trying to work out whether I need to look at a stiffer all-mountain type boot, or whether a mid-stiffness boot would be better. I have Rome Targa bindings which are fairly adjustable for different requirements but I'm not sure if this would allow me to use a mid-stiffness boot and end up with a better all-round combination.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm still after a bit of advice on this, so I'll try and make the questions a bit clearer:

"... and flex your ankle as if you were pushing the gas pedal on your car. If you are unable to do this, the boot is too stiff and will severely impede your progress as a snowboarder."

Has anyone heard of this method of checking the stiffness of the boot and do you think it's a valid method?

Should I look at a stiffer all-mountain boot or a mid-stiffness boot in combination with Rome Targas for novice-intermediate progress with roughly a 60/40 or 70/30 freeride/park split?

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That guide is meant for beginners who have no idea about stiffness. For the general public, it works.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fallen Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerBound View Post
I'm still after a bit of advice on this, so I'll try and make the questions a bit clearer:

"... and flex your ankle as if you were pushing the gas pedal on your car. If you are unable to do this, the boot is too stiff and will severely impede your progress as a snowboarder."

Has anyone heard of this method of checking the stiffness of the boot and do you think it's a valid method?

Should I look at a stiffer all-mountain boot or a mid-stiffness boot in combination with Rome Targas for novice-intermediate progress with roughly a 60/40 or 70/30 freeride/park split?

Any help appreciated.
The stiffer the boot the more exact the control will be. So you can kinda get an idea from that. Yes that was the part I was talking about. I don't do much park riding so I can't really tell you what kind of boot you want for that but for a freeride you want a medium - stiff and if you're in the trees you want it pretty stiff because you need the control.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks guys.