Gnu Banana-Tech and Magne-Traction - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
QuebecKiwi

Default Gnu Banana-Tech and Magne-Traction

I've been checking out the Gnu Ride's Choice MTX (Wide) and BTX (Wide) and was wondering which would be better for freeriding? I live in Quebec, hence the interest in the magne-traction for better slice on the ice, but for freeriding, is the banana-traction going to make the board less stiff? My current board has too much flex, and I'm really looking for a board that'll handle fairly aggresively, slicing through choppy snow rather than getting air off every time I hit uneven snow. Is there any real advantage of having the BTX if I won't be using the board in the park?

So, bottom line: Is the BTX going to give me the stiffness I need, or am I better off with the MTX?
Are these boards fast??? Compared with, say, a Nitro Pantera, which I've also been looking at? I've read a lot of stuff about how great banana and magne-traction are, but very little about the oerall speed of the board.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Reverse camber works well in snow because the boards shape lifts the nose up where as a traditional shape attempts to lower the nose or at least provides a little more resistance
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
QuebecKiwi

Yeah, I hear that's great in powder.... what about normal east coast conditions (hard-packed with some ice patches)?? Would the MTX be better than the BTX in these conditions? Thanks for your help
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Not necessarily better per se, but MTX-only boards are cheaper than BTX boards.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

heres a combo of btx and mtx
Gnu Street Series BTX Snowboard - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com
Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
QuebecKiwi

Yeah, that's one of the 2 I'm looking at. I'm just trying to get a clearer understanding of how the Banana technology actually works.... The name suggests that the board would be more flexible than the MTX, but I can't work out if that's the case or not since it's a new technology meaning that most of the info about it is from companies trying to sell it which is always going to be positive! The MTX is a little cheaper, and if itis a stiffer board (??) then I'd probably be better off with that. Any other info/ reviews on the banana-tech?
Any info on the speed of these 2 boards? Cheers!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the skate banana is flexible as hell from what I hear. and I have nothing invested in mtx or btx. Ive had two GNU's without it either and they were both fine. and here in the midwest with all of our humidity we get a lot of ice (lake michigan, mississippi river). this year Im stepping up to a Bataleon because Ive heard that TBT is the shiznit. so Ive got my enemy on the way right now and I hope its gonna be sweet
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecKiwi View Post
Yeah, that's one of the 2 I'm looking at. I'm just trying to get a clearer understanding of how the Banana technology actually works.... The name suggests that the board would be more flexible than the MTX, but I can't work out if that's the case or not since it's a new technology meaning that most of the info about it is from companies trying to sell it which is always going to be positive! The MTX is a little cheaper, and if itis a stiffer board (??) then I'd probably be better off with that. Any other info/ reviews on the banana-tech?
Any info on the speed of these 2 boards? Cheers!
MTX = Magnetraction, regular camber
BTX = Banana (reverse camber) + Magnetraction

Banana/Rocker boards are going to feel more flexible when pressing. With a regular cambered board you have to unweight and flex to get the tip/tail up. With rocker, all you really have to do is unweight. Flex the board and you'll be doing 4ft high presses easy! :P

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-25-2008 at 12:21 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
QuebecKiwi

Thanks for the input guys! OK, so the impression I get is that the banana-tech is great for park or powder, and is maybe less stiff than the Rider's Choice with just the magne-traction.

I did read this report The World of Snowboarding through Fembot Eyes: Snowboard Review: 08-09 GNU Riders Choice BTX to the contrary regarding stiffness though, so I'm still not entirely sure!! I'm going to check out a few board shops this weekend to see if any have both side-by-side so I can compare.

In any case, It would seem that the Rider's Choice MTX should do the trick. But if the BTX has the same stiffness, and speed as well as being able to handle better in pow (heading to Utah and Whistler this season) then I will go for that.

If anyone else has experience with these boards and can comment on stiffness and speed I'd love to hear it! Thanks for all the info so far guys!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Phoenix

Bananananna doesn't change the stiffness so don't be too concerned about that but if you are riding on piste 90% then it may not be worth the extra $$$$$. If you are going for an MTX board make sure you look through all the GNU and Lib boards to get the right one for your needs. Last years Lib MTX boards are going cheap as almost all have banana this years so you should be able to pick up a bargain. Sounds like you don't need banana so I guess the question is do you want it?