Newbie Equipment Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom H

Default Newbie Equipment Advice

Hi

Sorry for another one of those threads but I am after some advice on a board and bindings package.

I have skiied for about 10 years now but recently spent 3 days boarding and loved it so have decided to take it up instead.

I am 6 foot 2, about 200lb and US size 11.5 feet. I am looking for an all mountain board as most of my time will be spent on and off piste but would still like to be able to go in the park once in a while.

I am living in Germany at the moment so will be boarding in Austria but have been to Steamboat CO twice and plan more trips there, so the board has to be OK for powder as well.

After A bit of research I have narrowed the board to either a Nitro Magnum wide 08 model, or Ride Control. Both are the same price and have read good reviews about each. Which would you recommend? Or if neither which others?

Bindings I have been recommended Burton Cartels by a mate and ride Delta MVMNT's by a guy in the ski shop. Again which would you choose and why? Or if neither which others?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
tands05

My vote is the Ride Control...My Father in Law has one and really likes it.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom H

Any other opinions please??
Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fallen Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
Hi

Sorry for another one of those threads but I am after some advice on a board and bindings package.

I have skiied for about 10 years now but recently spent 3 days boarding and loved it so have decided to take it up instead.

I am 6 foot 2, about 200lb and US size 11.5 feet. I am looking for an all mountain board as most of my time will be spent on and off piste but would still like to be able to go in the park once in a while.

I am living in Germany at the moment so will be boarding in Austria but have been to Steamboat CO twice and plan more trips there, so the board has to be OK for powder as well.

After A bit of research I have narrowed the board to either a Nitro Magnum wide 08 model, or Ride Control. Both are the same price and have read good reviews about each. Which would you recommend? Or if neither which others?

Bindings I have been recommended Burton Cartels by a mate and ride Delta MVMNT's by a guy in the ski shop. Again which would you choose and why? Or if neither which others?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom
I'm not familiar with either of those board but I do know that Ride has a really good rep. Only other companies I know are GNU & Lib Tech (both owned by the same parent company Mervin), K2, and Rossignol. Personally I'm a big fan of Lib Tech's stuff. Their Banana Rocker and Magna-traction are awesome, but I've heard nothing but good things about Bataleon and Never Summer's versions of Lib Tech's new design techs.

Personally I like Rome bindings (390 & Targa) 390 are solid and the Targa's are the performance version of the 390s, more customization. As for a a stick, if you've got the money and are willing to entertain different sticks, I'd say check out some of Lib Tech's stuff especially the Dark Series or maybe some of GNUs all mountain decks. Altered Genetics is a good choice.