snowboard locks do you use em? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
dave_o

Default snowboard locks do you use em?

this year im gonna start using a lock. i didnt before but after hearinf people getting snowboards stolen from where i am from, i dont think i am gonna take the chance any more
what about you guys, do you lock up or not and why.

Last edited by dave_o; 11-27-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
andrew_schenk

i always lock up my board, im not leaving $800 just sitting there, and most people know exactly how expensive a board/ bindings are.
if the racks are taken/ cant lock up, one of the guys im riding with will take one for the team and stay with the boards while everyone else gets food, comes back outside, then he/she goes in for their food. i'd rather sit out side with a quickly freezing hamburger and have my board safe.

if you dont want to buy a lock... you should attach a house key, along with your address and families regular schedule to your board, so if someone grabs it by mistake thinking it was their board, they can safely return it when no one is home to save the embarrassment
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I ever go in to eat I will just put mine and my friends boards in the car where they are safe and insured. I don't even trust locks, and for a good reason.

A couple of seasons ago I was snowboarding with my family, I was on my own and my parents were just watching my bro snowboard. So anyways I saw his snowboard or what I thought was his snowboard locked up and figured I would pull a pretty funny prank on him. So I ended up unscrewing the binding that was locked up and just taking the rest of the baord. I then proceeded to walk to where my parents were thinking they would be freaked that my bro lost his board. When I asked them where he was they told me he was just coming down the hill. Thats when I realized that I had inadvertantly stolen someones board. I rushed back to find a kid almost in tears looking at his bindings just hanging there. After some explaining and me saying sorry a million times I was on my way.

So whats the point of this story? The fact that I was able to take the time to unscrew someones bindings so I could take their board without anyone saying so much as boo goes to show that even locks are not even that safe.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
So whats the point of this story? The fact that I was able to take the time to unscrew someones bindings so I could take their board without anyone saying so much as boo goes to show that even locks are not even that safe.
Well, apart from being a funny story, and contemplating how much of a bastard you must have felt, it amazes me that with a bunch of people around, someone can unscrew a binding that clearly has a lock attached and nobody questions it. That just plain bites.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
andrew_schenk

haha thats pretty funny.. if you had done that to me i would have made you buy me a beer then all is forgiven
and yea thats pretty messed that no one said anything, either a bunch of pansies for not wanting confrontation, or seriously stupid for not thinking anything was out of the ordinary..
Old 11-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
DenBank

ha thats funny
car is the best lock
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
dave_o

car is alright till some one smashes the window and takes everything. makes for one cold ride home though lol
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
DenBank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_o View Post
car is alright till some one smashes the window and takes everything. makes for one cold ride home though lol
When someone stills your board police cannot do anything
if someone smashes the window you can report it
and car is at least protects you from small kids who just want you board.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is why one should invest in something like what the RC python lock systems use. They have a machined aluminum piece that screws into the board on an unattended binding hole so the cable passes through it and covers up the mounting screw. This way they could take the bindings off, and still not get the board. That means if you want to keep the bindings as well, get a long enough cable to pass through all 3 before going around whatever you're locking it down to.

This will result in only one option for the thief, bolt cutter for a good cable 5mm in diameter or larger. Usually if anyone had one of those things using it on a slope, people woould be able to pick it out but again, most people mind their own beeswax but this will at least deter theft on your stuff 95% of the time.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
desklamp

I just put my stuff next to a nicer looking board and pray they take that one instead.