Late-Model Board Purchase tips - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Late-Model Board Purchase tips

So I have been eyeballing the Burton Process Flying-V (V-rocker?) for a while now and I happen to not like this year's graphic and since the technology inside of the board is the same. I thought I might get the 2012/2013 model.

I know for a fact that EVO and "the house" has some leftover from last year right now, as in September 2013.

I am not sure about actual snowboard shops though. So I ask, Is it kind of late to buy last year's board from actual shops or is now the perfect time?
KentoBento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentoBento View Post
So I have been eyeballing the Burton Process Flying-V (V-rocker?) for a while now and I happen to not like this year's graphic and since the technology inside of the board is the same. I thought I might get the 2012/2013 model.

I know for a fact that EVO and "the house" has some leftover from last year right now, as in September 2013.

I am not sure about actual snowboard shops though. So I ask, Is it kind of late to buy last year's board from actual shops or is now the perfect time?

Like anything else, it depends on the stock left. Most places have or are having sales on last years gear to move some stock to make room for 13/14 gear. Most shops where I live are 40 minutes to an hour from me. It wouldn't hurt to call some of your local shops and tell them what you're looking for to see if they have it to save to the drive. You'll just end up pacing in the store, looking in the same place 100 times just to make sure you didn't happen to overlook the board you're searching for, that they no longer carry.
jwelsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Right now is a great time to buy last season's gear. Last week was probably the best time to buy due to Labor Day sales. My local Sports Chalet went from 40% to 50% off on everything, and 75% off on Forum, K2 and Salomon gear.

I bought everything online though to avoid paying sales tax. Although I did go into brick and mortar stores to try on things to make sure I got the sizing right.
Zedank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedank View Post
I bought everything online though to avoid paying sales tax. Although I did go into brick and mortar stores to try on things to make sure I got the sizing right.
If you required zero assistance from the staff I'll let this slide. Otherwise, you do not deserve the air you breathe.

DO NOT go to a shop and waist the employees time only to buy online to "save sales tax". That is a very pathetic thing to do.

But yes, now is a good time to find older gear.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh83 View Post
Like anything else, it depends on the stock left. Most places have or are having sales on last years gear to move some stock to make room for 13/14 gear. Most shops where I live are 40 minutes to an hour from me. It wouldn't hurt to call some of your local shops and tell them what you're looking for to see if they have it to save to the drive. You'll just end up pacing in the store, looking in the same place 100 times just to make sure you didn't happen to overlook the board you're searching for, that they no longer carry.
Nothing wrong with calling your local shops and asking about their inventory. Saves a trip.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wasn't referring to making them put bindings on a board and fitting you with boots so you can go home and buy it.

I was referring to going in and trying on a Burton jacket in a large and medium to see which fit better and how they compared to other brands large and medium sizes.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wasn't referring to making them put bindings on a board and fitting you with boots so you can go home and buy it.

I was referring to going in and trying on a Burton jacket in a large and medium to see which fit better and how they compared to other brands large and medium sizes.
Fair enough. This happens more than it should, had to be sure.

Move along.

Though I'd still prefer you'd spent your money at a local shop rather than online.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
If you required zero assistance from the staff I'll let this slide. Otherwise, you do not deserve the air you breathe.

DO NOT go to a shop and waist the employees time only to buy online to "save sales tax". That is a very pathetic thing to do.
I think that this is too generous, if a shop carries the cost of inventory and people just pop in and try on some product even without a second of staff time then then buy online they've scammed the shop, and by extension the locals in general.

If you have to go to a shop to decide whether the $300 jacket you want should be a medium or a large their inventory is saving you from a $300 fuckup, and then you repay them by buying nothing, that's bogus.

I buy stuff online all the time, often I can't get it locally. Unless prices are way different I try to shop locally, and I'd never shop local and then buy from the net, totally takes advantage of the shop
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

See my previous post, this is still a scummy thing to do.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

So I should never test drive a car and leave the lot without buying it because I've used up the car salesman's time, the dealership paid for the car to be on the lot and I used them to find out if the car had all the features I was looking for and therefore preventing me from making a $30,000 fuck up.

Does it make a difference if my local board shop, Powder & Sun, is technically based in Wrightwood, CA and has a shop here in Vegas, allowing me to buy online and pick it up locally so they don't have to spend $15 shipping it down the street 3 blocks and I don't have to pay sales tax or is that still scummy? I guess so since I'm scamming Uncle Sam out of his 8.1% sales tax.

Anyway, back to the original post. KentoBento, it's a great time to buy since most people are still in the summer mindset. They'll be just limited inventory but if you look hard enough you'll sometimes get lucky and find exactly what you're looking for.

One thing to be aware of is the return policy since it's morally wrong to try something and buy it elsewhere. Some shops will have an "all sales are final" or "no return, no exchange" policy for sale items. Most online places will accept a better return to stay competitive, but you'll have to pay for return shipping or use a prepaid label from the company which will be deducted from your refund.

Good luck on your hunt.

Tags
2013, 2014, burton, online, snowboard