need help choosing deck - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
curlyside

Smile need help choosing deck

hey so i need a new board this year as mine is too small now and it's a piece of crap. lookin for a board that is good for both freeriding and freestyle. i do about 65% freeride (especially enjoy trees/powder) and 35% freestyle, but lookin to progress a lil more in the freestyle area this season. anyway, i'm on a semi-tight budget. the boards i've been lookin at getting so far are the Atomic Axum, Atomic Hatchet, Atomic Cold Smoke, Forum Recon or Salomon special. i've been able to find all of them for pretty good deals right around the same price.

I'm about 5'9" 165 lbs and wear size 10.5 boot. my old board had 24.7 waist and i had no problems with toe drag.

i'd really appreciate any input, suggestions, or recommendations for other possible decks.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Twix

Out of those options I'm gonna say the Forum Recon. It's a great all around board and you can get a 2008 for $150. If I remember correctly, in 2008 the Recon was number 8 on Good Wood's best boards for under $400. My buddy picked up a Recon last year because he was semi-new to snowboarding and he loved it.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
curlyside

Thanks SnoWolf! yeah, i've heard great things about Atomic. like great boards for low prices. which is why i was attracted. the one thing about the Cold Smoke is that, i think, it is directional, and has a little setback for bindings, and i was kind of hoping for a more balanced stance. also the Cold Smoke may be too narrow for me as the 157 has only a 24.07 waist :S
How does the Atomic Axum do as far as free ride goes? i know it's designed as a park board but i've heard it handles freeride stuff just fine. and it's a bit wider as the 156 has a 25.4 waist which would probably be better for my foot size.
and yeah i was looking into Rome boards, and as much as i would love to get one, I haven't been able to find any that are anywhere near the prices of the Axum, Hatchet, Recon, and Salomon Special that i've found
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
curlyside

Alright, so I actually ended up buying a 2007 Atomic Alibi 159 today. Went to a few local boardshops and asked a lotta questions about a buncha different boards, told them what i was looking for out of the board n' all. Heard from multiple guys nothing but great things about the Alibi. Ended up finding a new one on ebay for only $200 thanks for all the tips/advice guys!