2 Powder:All-Mountain boards: for me and my GF - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
amq

Hey! Thanks for the great contributions. Sounds like a great board from what you describe. I also noticed it's discontinued... will check if there is any available with shipping to SE. Thanks a ton!
amq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

I'm not sure... Sweden is pretty flat(?)so no close by mountain to demo boards, I assume?

If you travel for snowboarding anyway... Just an idea for an early season starter trip: Oct-Dec will be the annual snowboard demo box in Saas Fee (glacier resort open all year round). All big brands will be around. Easyjet flights from Stockholm to CH are pretty cheap.
Information - Snowboardbox.ch // Box & Future Try Veranstaltungen in Sölden, Saas-Fee, Davos & Les Croisettes

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Great switch riding capability and great powder performance really don't go hand in hand. If I were you, I'd just be looking at all-mountain boards that suit your riding preferences near home. If you're having to plan trips to find powder, take your board and if you get a really nice powder day, then demo a pow stick. That'd be my plan.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I ride the Farah as well 2012 model in a 144 which is about what I usually ride but according to Ride chart on that board is too small for my weight (board rides long?) but I feel very stable on that board with minimal chatter. It is a directional board meant for freeridin' but I hit some little 10 and 20 foot kickers with it and it had hella pop and made super confident. Did not have any difficulty riding switch like I do with my directional trad cambered plank. Had more flex than I expected since was touted as an "advanced" board but made it easy to turn yet held a solid edge to carve. I rode it at end of season in spring slush where I was riding over puddles and it is fast also. Very light and thin board. Ride now has a Hellcat which seems to replace the Farah and borrows a lot of the tech and has new popwalls but is a true twin and new for this year.

Even tho your girl feels she has outgrown her length of board and it does seem to be hard to find girl boards over 155 I would not suggest going to men's with her size of feet being 8.5. Her weight and height might say a men's board will be okay but it probably will be wider and harder to control. I would suggest looking for a stiff women's freeride board like the B pro/NS Lotus where that length is stable and designed for hard ridin'.
Fewdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Great switch riding capability and great powder performance really don't go hand in hand. If I were you, I'd just be looking at all-mountain boards that suit your riding preferences near home. If you're having to plan trips to find powder, take your board and if you get a really nice powder day, then demo a pow stick. That'd be my plan.
I don't think switch riding was a particular ask/requirement of the OP. Or was that in response to neni's review?

EDIT: My bad, missed the part about "some fakie is possible e.g. after a jump in the powder or so" - always throws me off when people say fakie but actually mean switch...

Last edited by hktrdr; 09-18-2013 at 02:35 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amq View Post
if some fakie is possible e.g. after a jump in the powder or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
I don't think switch riding was a particular ask/requirement of the OP. Or was that in response to neni's review?
Andreas, could you elaborate on the switch part? Further recommendations you get might depend on how important this is for you.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewdfreak View Post
Even tho your girl feels she has outgrown her length of board and it does seem to be hard to find girl boards over 155 I would not suggest going to men's with her size of feet being 8.5. Her weight and height might say a men's board will be okay but it probably will be wider and harder to control. I would suggest looking for a stiff women's freeride board like the B pro/NS Lotus where that length is stable and designed for hard ridin'.
Hmmm... I'd say, what's wide and what not depends on your stance and angles e.g. I did demo the 157 Burton Sherlock, 156 Rome Agent (the trad camber), 155 Ride Highlife and my board is a 158 Jones Flagship. All of them men's boards, all of them have ww of around 25cm; I had no issue to find my sweet stance on them and none felt hard to turn. The women's 153 Farah and 148 Salomon Idol (both around ww 24cm) are tight but work as well, but with a 146 NS Raven (23.4ww) it was hopeless to fix the bindings in a comfortable position. So a very personal thing...
I wouldn't exclude men's boards per se, just concentrate on those which have a width she feels comfortable with.

BTW: OP, the Idol was pretty stable. I've no other comments since I've just used it on blacks to test if it chatters while straight lining. Maybe it's worth to check some reviews on that one.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
amq

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Andreas, could you elaborate on the switch part? Further recommendations you get might depend on how important this is for you.
Hehe, sorry about switch vs. fakie.

Well, to be honest: In the past I practically didn't ride switch at all, partly because switch didnt feel comfortable the way I had my bindings.

For the future, the reason why I figured switch was interesting is because a 360 sometimes takes to long and 180 is an option to be slightly more playful than just doing an indy-grab .

However, regarding importance I can live without great switch-capabilities if it improves the general riding experience.

Thanks for helping!
amq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all mountain, board, powder, small feet