East coast aggressive rider looking for a all mountain fast board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default East coast aggressive rider looking for a all mountain fast board

I have been riding for many years. I ride mostly on the east coast so I have to deal with ice. I have a gnu space case for park riding already and am looking for a great all mountain board that has good speed behind it as well as stable riding. I have a lib tech trs 2012 which I think is amazing but it has a excluded base which I feel is slowing me down but it rides awesome. I really want something like the trs but faster. I am considering a new trs cause of the TNT base also have been looking into the lib tech pheonix series. Like the slash atv reviews a lot but I am afraid it's too geared at park. K2 turbo dream got me going but I hear its a power board. Side note I am 6'3" 220 pounds. I ride very hard and fast. Please help i have been killing myself with research trying to find the right board.
Deftones882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones882 View Post
I have been riding for many years. I ride mostly on the east coast so I have to deal with ice. I have a gnu space case for park riding already and am looking for a great all mountain board that has good speed behind it as well as stable riding. I have a lib tech trs 2012 which I think is amazing but it has a excluded base which I feel is slowing me down but it rides awesome. I really want something like the trs but faster. I am considering a new trs cause of the TNT base also have been looking into the lib tech pheonix series. Like the slash atv reviews a lot but I am afraid it's too geared at park. K2 turbo dream got me going but I hear its a power board. Side note I am 6'3" 220 pounds. I ride very hard and fast. Please help i have been killing myself with research trying to find the right board.
Burton custom X is a classic choice for going fast - as a bigger guy the stiffness may also help. Keep it sharp and it has good edge hold even on ice.

Otherwise maybe something with magnetraction.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smokin' KT22 would be worth a look, burly and has mag for the ice.

Edit: You can also get it in regular or hybrid camber.

Last edited by Sudden_Death; 09-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Jones All Mountain does very well in the East Coast. I have been using it here and it holds up particularly well on ice. It may not be the best board for 'hard and fast' but it's a great all-round board that holds up at high speeds.
timmytimmytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was looking into a burton custom x hardcore when I bought my lib. I am just concerned about it handling the ice. Magnatraction is pretty much necessary on the ice coast. It does seem like a kick ass board though. This smokin kt22 looks really good def going to have to look into it more. Never even heard of the brand before so it's pretty cool to see a new option. I remember reading something about the jones board and the carbon making it shitty as far as choppyness goes. Do u ride a jones?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My Never Summer SL hauls serious ass and holds a better edge on the ice coast then all the magna traction boards I have rode. And it's a confidence builder due to how stable it is and how well it ride.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of my good friends rides a proto ct. I rode it last year once and really liked the way it handles. My biggest complaint about it and his too after riding my board is the chatter on that thing. It rides really nice but it's def choppier than my trs. Other than that awesome riding board! How is the sl though in your opinion as far as that goes? They don't have magnatraction but they have something in there that makes it nice and grippy on ice. I hear that the sl is def leaning more toward all mountain and the proto being a all mountain board geared at park too. So many choices makes this super hard to decide.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride mostly at blue mountain Ontario where we seem to have more ice than snow and I find that burton's cambered boards (at least the ones I've ridden) handle the ice we have here pretty well as long as you keep them sharp.

I can't imagine that there's any board out there that you would say to yourself, 'wicked, there's tons of ice, gonna take my never summer Zamboni and kill it today'.

I was out at whistler last year and from mid mountain down one day it was a sheet of ice as it had rained overnight and then froze as the temp fall that morning. My buddy rode a custom X and I had a Vapor and we were tracking very well, and reasonably comfortably compared to some others riding with us on non cambered boards.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones882 View Post
One of my good friends rides a proto ct. I rode it last year once and really liked the way it handles. My biggest complaint about it and his too after riding my board is the chatter on that thing. It rides really nice but it's def choppier than my trs. Other than that awesome riding board! How is the sl though in your opinion as far as that goes? They don't have magnatraction but they have something in there that makes it nice and grippy on ice. I hear that the sl is def leaning more toward all mountain and the proto being a all mountain board geared at park too. So many choices makes this super hard to decide.
I have the proto ct and just bought the HD. They changed the profile on HD to cut down on chatter without sacrificing the more playful ride. I love my SL and I compare its ride to driving a Cadillac. It's a strong smooth ride with excellent edge hold on ice. It's rocker in the middle has a good flex for pressing and butters and the damp camber outside the binding makes it real lively when I hook turns and ride trees or hauling ass trying to beat a friend.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where do you ride out east? Sugarloaf for me. I feel you on the need for some sort of ice grip tech. Magnatraction on Lib/Gnu and vario on the NS boards are my favorites, and hold the best in my opinion.

The TNT base on the current TRS is still an extruded base I believe. The GNU Riders Choice is very similar but slightly higher end. It has a sintered base and similar flex profile as the TRS. If you wanted to go stiffer, you could look at the T. Rice (esp if you have size 12+ feet).

Do you want a twin board for riding switch? Otherwise I would look at a directional board.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote