Couple unrelated questions... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
lat3ralus65

Default Couple unrelated questions...

OK, two questions. I'm slowly but surely finishing off my list of things to get for this season.

1.) I'm looking to get a tune kit for waxing my board and all that good stuff. But with the amount of $$$ I dropped today ($150 on boots, $50 on a helmet, Christmas shopping), I don't want to spend a lot of money. At the mall today, I saw a couple kits that looked like they had everything. There was one by a company called Demon for $79.99 that came with an iron and a whole bunch of tools and waxes. Then there was another by some brand (starts with B) that was $129.99. They also had separate waxing irons (by Demon) for $24.99. Has anyone ever used Demon brand stuff - is it worth the money for someone like me who is fast running out of it? Or should I buy stuff individually? I've heard Dakine stuff talked about a lot on here...

2.) Heat molding... yea or nay? Just picked up my nice new Burton Freestyle boots and they're all soft and snug. Question is, will heat molding make them fit that much better? I can't help but feel that heat molding will accelerate the process of "packing in." What are your experiences with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
DenBank

Got 10$ iron from Walmart, Wax (no not from walmart ), Scraper made by myself, my sister got plexiglass for uni so i stole some and cut a square piece also smoothed out the corners so they won’t damage the board. Also got hard brush (my friend got brand one, I got almost exactly the same from walmart for few bucks lol) and some cloth for buffing. Cheap, maybe not perfect, but it works.
over all i spend like 20$ for everything and 20 more for wax.

Last edited by DenBank; 11-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Everything you need for waxing you can assemble on your own if you just spend 30 mins in Home Depot or Walmart.

As for heat-molding, I would definitely go for it. It just makes your boots that much more comfortable that much sooner. Sure, you can spend five or six days breaking them in, but I always wonder -- is the boots or your feet that end up getting broken in? Anyway, on another thread someone raised a really good point, that is -- do your feet generate a consistent 250-degree heat? Prolly not, so why not skip a few days of discomfort and take your boots to a shop?
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
KC KONG

I got a dakine tuning kit with the iron and waxes last year off a web site called tactics. Tactics Board Shop: Snowboard / Skate / Surf / Clothing / Gear I dont think there selling that kit anymore because i looked a few months ago but it wouldnt hurt to try.

I say go ahead and heat mold them. My buddy bought some new boots and they went ahead and heat molded them at the shop befor he bought them.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
THE OFF PHISTE WHORE

demon is crap!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
username999

yea, agreed. get a cheap or free iron. some wax at a shop (about $10). I scrape with a credit card. the only other thing i use occasionally is a edge sharpener occasionally after hitting rocks or damaging the edges. I also have a file for detuning the tips and tails. thats about it.