boards for powder - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
alasdairm

Default boards for powder

hey guys

my riding is pretty standard all-mountain stuff. i have a nidecker platinum 158 which i love.

i've been thinking of getting a board specifically for powder days and my knee-jerk reaction was to just go for an all-mountain board in a longer length, perhaps 163. i have a nidecker pro-form so, as cost is an issue for me, my default would be to go nidecker: a legend or a megalight.

i didn't really ride much last year when this whole reverse camber thing took off. i see references to it all over the place now so it looks like quite a few companies have embraced the technology.

can somebody who's ridden a reverse-camber/banana board compare it to a regular camber board specifically with regard to riding in powder.

also, if i went the banana route, what size should i shoot for (given my regular all-mountain ride is a 158)?

finally, i like the look of the never summer summit? anybody ridden one? thoughts?

thanks

alasdair

Last edited by alasdairm; 11-29-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

If your looking for a board exclusively to ride pow with then you should get a board that's built to exclusively ride powder. Burton has a several models you might look at: Malolo, supermodel, and fish(has a rocker)
A couple other models to consider: K2 Gyrator(rocker), Neversummer summit, prior kyber, prior spearhead, lib tech banana hammock
Nitro and arbor have powder models too. they all have very different shapes and are good at different types of pow riding just do some research
ElChupocabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
alasdairm

thanks.

have you ridden a reverse-camber board? how do they compare?

alasdair
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fallen Saint

Depends on which company you go with but I know that the Lib Tech (To my knowledge, original reverse camber developers) says you can ride around 3cm less than your standard and it will still ride the same/better.

But if you're going for a pow board, look for one that's for just that. I'm from NC so I don't get to ride much pow local. But I can tell you from experience with my Lib Tech Skate Banana that the reverse camber really is amazing. Rides a lot smoother, more responsive and I'm not catching edges.

Banana Rocker Explained

and my personal suggestion for a pow stick T.Rice Banana Hammock not sure what price ranging you're looking in so this may be too much lol
Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

so the banana rocker is just that the snowboard middle touches the ground when there's no weight on it instead of the other way around as with a "normal" snowboard?
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote