Pain + fear: Heels lift out of boots. Tight boots & bindings cramp feet, calves. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
deftective

Default Pain + fear: Heels lift out of boots. Tight boots & bindings cramp feet, calves.

Hey.

I'm a beginner. Ridden once a year for the last several years. Still uncomfortable linking from heel- to toe-side. I have a season's pass, a used rental board with bindings, my own boots, and I'm excited to learn.

I've got narrow heels, wide toes, skinny ankles, and large calves which start lower to the ground than most women's (I'm short). It's really hard for me to find boots that hold my heels. In most rental boots, my heels would step right out (2 inches). In my Solmon Ivy 06 boots, my heels easily lift out an inch, if the boots aren't tight-tight-tight; lift out an inch less easily if the boots and bindings are super-tight. Is this much heel lift a concern for control?

I ask because I feel like my heel lift affects my confidence in turning. And I exhaust myself every run, because I feel like I've got to bend real low to keep a toe edge, and flex my feet real hard upward to hold a heel edge, there's just so much room above my toes in those boots.

Also, with the boots super tight, my calf muscles burn throughout every run from compression. And when the bindings are super tight, my feet cramp during every run, from being compressed into not-flatness.

I put superfeet in my boots to remove some of the extra space, and bring my heel up to the narrower ankle-hugging-part of the boot. This is what the shop guys at Killington suggested. Has helped a bit.

Tomorrow I'm going to try adding the original boot's sole liner, underneath SuperFeet, to close more gap, and try sticking molefoam to the inside of the heels, to grip my heels better. Any other suggestions? Am I worrying about equipment, when my problem is with technique?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have ill fitting boots. If you have gone and tried on all the boots(did you try Mens?) and you still cant find a boot that fits well and holds your heel down you may want to look at some of the heat molded boots. I have never done it but i know that others have, basically you get a custom boot to your foot, and if done right will be the best boot possible..of course at a price though.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
idleline

You could also try what are called heel shims. Basically "V" shaped object made of soft material on one side and velcro on the other that are placed in the boot so that the apex of the V is just below your ankle bone that sticks out. They are specifically designed to prevent heel lift. Your local shop may sell them or you can purchase a pair of boots that come with heel shims (ie. Burton Ions).
Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like the boots aren't right for you. I just bought a pair of Solly Optimas and when I lean forward as if on toe edge I can actually feel the inside of the boot hugging my heels -- it's wonderful! Thinking back to when I was learning how to ride (and also had a serious problem with heel-lift) I think that you may be using your toes too much on toe edge. Inside of using your feet, use your legs. That is, when you're going onto toe edge instead of pressing down with your toes, try bending your knees more while still staying centered over the board; it'll put the weight of your body on your toe edge rather than just the weight of your feet and should really drastically reduce the amount your heels lift and shift inside your boots. Just a thought.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftective View Post
I ask because I feel like my heel lift affects my confidence in turning. And I exhaust myself every run, because I feel like I've got to bend real low to keep a toe edge, and flex my feet real hard upward to hold a heel edge, there's just so much room above my toes in those boots.

Also, with the boots super tight, my calf muscles burn throughout every run from compression. And when the bindings are super tight, my feet cramp during every run, from being compressed into not-flatness.
OMG! I have to admire your persistence. What you describe sounds like hell. I seem to remember someone (maybe BA), who said they haven't found a foot they couldn't fit (or words to that effect), which begs the question as to whether you have had your boots professionally fitted? I'm not sure if you're prepared to buy a new set of boots to get over this, but I find it hard to imagine that there isn't a better fit out there somewhere, and in doing so more enjoyment to be had? I'd say it would be well and truly worth the cost if it's within your budget.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Those boots don't fit you properly. I can't imagine a salesman letting you walk out in boots that fit like that. Did they fit well in the shop? Did you buy them without trying them on?

That sounds like a really not fun experience. I would add my advice, but I just read what Snowwolf said and, like always, he's right.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
universole

did you come get your heel problems sorted out?

i am having similar problems this season, my 2nd season. last year was great then after a few runs last weeened the bridge of my foot started hurting (i believe it was from crampibg) and i noticed my heel was coming up in my boot a little. i tried to tighten up the boots but they were as tight as i could get them, i tighted up the bindings and it made the cramping worse!

i cant ride like this all season, first thing that came to my mind was get new boots. but they are only 8 days old.

can sitting in my basement over the summer affect the heat molding (stays cool in the basement, not moisture or excessive heat)? myable i lost weight in my feet (lol) ? i dunno, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Like everyone, went through a few pairs, various footbeds and etc. Get some 1/4 inch foam sheet with self adhesive peel from a good ski shop and then make "j-bars", "C's", "butterflies" to put on the outside of the liners to snug things up...a good ski shop might even do this for you and they know what j's, c's and butterflies are. With the adhesive peel, once you get the the proper placement by using some painter's blue tape to experiment with the placement, warm up the liner and the foam a bit with a hair drier to make it really stick. Also Dakine makes or made? "heel anchors" that are a vinyl/rubber/web heel cup that fits over the heel of the liner and then uses the laces of the shell to really cinch your heel in the back of the boot. I also use a specific lacing strategy on my 32 305's to keep my foot looser, ankle cinched and my cuff tight allowing me to ride/wear all day without any issues. BTW my 32's with the moldable liners work great, last year they were getting packed out; then used the foam sheet stuff and now they fit better than when they were new.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
thomas.s.miller

Try to get a small pair of solly dialouges.they are mens but i can tell you that my heel has never once lifted.you can probably find last years model online for like 100 -150.great boots!also try the 32 lashed boots.AMAZING!and heat moldable
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

deftective: I'll echo what everyone has said so far - you're boots don't fit right at all. if it's in your budget, look at getting new boots, probably a men's model and HAVE THEM PROPERLY FITTED. If it's not in your budget, then wrathfuldeity's suggestion is probably ideal.

Universole: I don't think heel lift is your problem, you probably just need some better supports in your boots as stock liners tend to suck. Superfeet is what everyone uses. Tightening your boots and bindings excessively will only exacerbate your cramping.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote