East Coaster - New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default East Coaster - New Board

Been away from the forum for a bit. East coaster that gets about 20-30 days a year in. Usually 1-2 trips west, 3-5 trips to VT, mostly Stowe or Sugarbush and filled out with local hunter/pocono trips.

I like charging hard and carving... got in the trees a bit more last year than years previous. Out west I like to make myself pucker by getting into the steeper stuff I can't get out here. I will pop off natural features but in the air less than I used to be.

Caveat... I have a bum back knee. Two surgeries in and I thought I was going to miss this season with the third. Met with my ortho and I may be back in the game with a little help from some cortisone. My ACL repair is likely re-torn based on my MRI but I am not having stability issues.. had a problem with pain likely from a torn or fraying medial meniscus but my MD wants to try and see if getting the inflammation down helps and doesn't want to "fix a bad picture."

I have a Man's Board 159 and it has done me right... super stable and damp, great through all the variable garbage and hard pack on the east coast and has been fun in better snow. But I was thinking of getting something that may require a little less hard work at the end of the day and still deliver for my style. Im 5'8" and a fairly solid 205lbs.. need to lose 15-20.

Is the Jones Flagship an option? The Never Summer Cobra or Heritage? Arbor Roundhouse or Coda? Worth looking into any of the Battelons... been intrigued by the TBT. Basically want something similar but maybe a tad more playful than than my current ride.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
I have a Man's Board 159 and it has done me right... super stable and damp, great through all the variable garbage and hard pack on the east coast and has been fun in better snow. But I was thinking of getting something that may require a little less hard work at the end of the day and still deliver for my style. Im 5'8" and a fairly solid 205lbs.. need to lose 15-20.
Is the Jones Flagship an option? The Never Summer Cobra or Heritage? Arbor Roundhouse or Coda? Worth looking into any of the Battelons... been intrigued by the TBT. Basically want something similar but maybe a tad more playful than than my current ride.
Flagship is super stable and fun to charge, but a board for morning groomers. Soft crud is ok, it'll go over it like a tank, but in the heavy spring afternoon mogul-ish crud it'll be hard work as well.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Flagship is super stable and fun to charge, but a board for morning groomers. Soft crud is ok, it'll go over it like a tank, but in the heavy spring afternoon mogul-ish crud it'll be hard work as well.
Got it.. I can handle some of that work, just was looking to lean slightly more playful/forgiving versus the mans board
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bumping an old thread of mine.

Has anyone ridden an APO. Dude recommended I check out the Apo Spray which looks interesting but perhaps suited for more powder then I unfortunately tackle in a given year.

Separately... any major differences for the flagship from 2013 to 2014, I see I can pick up a 2013 at some good prices, happy to spend that money on other gear versus splurging more for 2014.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bumping an old thread of mine... Got to demo a Never Summer Raptor yesterday which was really my first time on a non traditional camber board and I have to say I loved it.

Was only 4 runs but my impression was that it was almost exactly what I am looking for. Felt like it was a board I could charge on but was more agile with a bit less work than the mans board. I may want to go a bit wider than the stance I had set up but man the board was fun.

Turn initiation was easy and when you put the board on edge it really wanted to run. Conditions were solid so I can't speak to edge hold on regular east coast boilerplate, but didn't seem like it would be an issue.

I guess my only question.. Having not ridden a flagship does anyone have thoughts on how the two compare?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Your first line in your opening post sounds exactly like me, with the exception of Hunter and Sugarbush.

Sorry to hear about the bum knee, I hope it gets better.

I don't have experience with the Flagship, but I do have a Raptor and I find its great for the east coast ice/harpack. Not many slopes in the east that can take advantage of its power/speed, but it does lay down an excellent carve. I heard the Flagship's also an amazing board, but I heard it isn't damp, or as damp as NS boards, and I find that's important for the afternoon crud from the crowded slopes you get out here in the east, especially the Poconos. However, I do tend to switch out my board to the NS SL in the afternoon, so I guess it wouldn't really matter for me.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote