Need help with board width - I'm borderling and am getting conflicting information - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
KillerCharlie

Default Need help with board width - I'm borderling and am getting conflicting information

First of all, here's my info:
male, 6'2", 180lbs, live in Washington state
Beginner-intermediate (second year - I plan on hitting the slopes at least 3-4 times a month this winter)
Mostly free-ride... I don't see myself doing park

I'm really confused on the right snowboard waist (as well as the length to some extent). Several people have told me to look in the 162cm range for length (180 lbs but at 6'2" my center of gravity is higher).

Width, though, I'm really unsure about. I just bought some Salomon Synapse wide boots after working with one of their reps. Here's what the box says about their size:
11-11.5 US, 11 UK, 45 2/3 F, 29 CM

If you compare those sizes to a normal snowboard size conversion chart (evo | Ski/Snowboard Boot Sizing Chart (including Mondopoint Conversion)), they don't make sense. 11 UK should be closer to 12 US. 45 2/3 Euro should be something like 30 cm...

Basically I think they're at least 11.5, if not bigger.

A couple weeks ago I bought a K2 select wide (162 cm) on sale for $120. At the time I thought I'd get a boot closer to a size 12 which would warrant a wider board (267 cm).It was at a show so I can't return it.

Is 26.7 cm too wide? Should I try to get a narrower board or is 26.7 going to be okay? I don't have bindings yet, but when I put the boots on the board the toe does hang over about an inch, so I don't think it'll be horrible. Should I just stick with this board for a while then when I get more experienced decide if I should go narrower? Should I try to get a mid-wide board? It seems they're not as easy to find as regular/wide. If so, what models can I get that are less than $250 (preferably last year's models on sale).

Thanks!

Last edited by KillerCharlie; 11-30-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
alasdairm

maybe the information doesn't conflict - maybe both answers are right

the best way to see is to take your boots to a shop and physically size them on the board in the binding you plan to use.

alasdair
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
KillerCharlie

How much should my toes overhang?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
alasdairm

it depends. an inch of overhang doesn't sound like much, but if you put a high degree of tilt on your board (say, while carving) that's not going to work out...

alasdair
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
KillerCharlie

I think I'll stick with the board I have (26.7 cm) for now, unless you guys think it will really hamper my learning and make it hard to board. After a few times out this year I'll get a better feel for it I can then decide. I got a good deal on it and should be able to sell it used without too much loss. It is a pain to find a mid-wide board, though... they're usually marked as wide or not, but you actually have to check the waist to see if it's in the mid-wide range.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're almost exactly my size. I'm 6'3 180 and I wear an 10.5 boot. I have about a 3/4 inch overhang on toe and heel riding +15/-15. I personally wouldn't want more than an inch overhang because I can feel it a little. My board is a standard width Rome Design 165. I don't do park either so I have a fairly long board. It's super light so I have plenty of maneuverability. I started on midwest crud on a heavier Rome Anthem.

I can't say for sure, but I think you will be ok with a normal board. The only way to really know is to get out and ride one that size.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
KillerCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
You're almost exactly my size. I'm 6'3 180 and I wear an 10.5 boot. I have about a 3/4 inch overhang on toe and heel riding +15/-15. I personally wouldn't want more than an inch overhang because I can feel it a little. My board is a standard width Rome Design 165. I don't do park either so I have a fairly long board. It's super light so I have plenty of maneuverability. I started on midwest crud on a heavier Rome Anthem.

I can't say for sure, but I think you will be ok with a normal board. The only way to really know is to get out and ride one that size.
But I have an 11.5 sized boot - that's over 1 cm longer of a boot than a 10.5. Doesn't that mean I should go with a board that's 1 cm wider (like most wide boards are)?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, like I said, I have 3/4 inch overhang and an inch is about as much as I would want. I don't think I'd really go wide unless I was 12+ boot size, but you're right on the cusp. I can't tell you what is right or wrong, you'd just have to ride and see if you feel any drag. It's better to have a little extra overhang than to have a board that's too wide, in my opinion. As long as you aren't scraping the ends of your boots, you won't need to go wide.

Also, I don't know your stance, but I ride ducky which gives me a little more clearance at the ends.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
KillerCharlie

But would I still need something wider than the normal widths? It seems there are lots of mid-wide boards out there, just hard to pick them out. Any suggestions for an intermediate rider?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default boots

Get the wide Synapse's fitted and you'll be amazed at how good they are. Just bought my second pair and the fitting let me go down a size. Sweet!
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote