Looking for a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
enjoytheslide

Default Looking for a new board

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forums and I'm sure its one that you all see a lot of. I'm looking to get a new board. I've been snowboarding for 2 seasons now. I'm an avid surfer and wakeboarder, but being from Florida, I don't see snow too often lol. In the past 2 seasons I've been boarding several times to NC (Beech and Sugar) and also Snowshoe in WV. Surfing since I was a youngster, I naturally picked up snowboarding pretty quick. I bought a Burton 156 Air after the first time I went. It has treated me very good over the past few seasons but I'm ready to do some serious freestyle and park riding. I'm heading to Breckenridge with my girl over Christmas and really looking forward to experiencing west coast boarding. With all this said, I'm looking for a new board, that can help me progress in park and serious freestyle stuff. I consider myself pretty decent. I can link turns easily on east coast blacks, and the only time I ever fall is when I'm doing a jump or something stupid.

I'm 5'7, and 145 or 150 with gear on. My Burton Air feels too long and too stiff. I'm looking for a something shorter and with more flex for more serious park/pipe/freestyle stuff. What are some good boards to fit the style I'm going for, and what size should I be riding?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and opinions.

Mahalo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
curlyside

For more freestyle oriented boards, check out Atomic Hatchet or Atomic Axum. Hatchet has a little more flex than the Axum, but they're pretty similar. Both have a 2.5 bevel, good for jibs n' stuff. Both great freestyle boards for VERY good prices. As Snowolf mentioned, the Atomic Alibi is a true twin, but it's more versatile outside the park than Hatchet or Axum as it is stiffer and has a 1 bevel. I just ordered one for myself the other day actually.

Also check out Bataleon boards. TBT is supposed to be awesome, you'll never catch an edge, and I hear they make great park boards.
Happy hunting!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
kyouness

capita indoor survival sounds like something you'd like.

or a neversummer sl-r and evo-r since i'm guessing you'll be riding mostly east coast ice, and they'll still float in the fluffy stuff when you do head west.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
enjoytheslide

thanks for the responses guys!

Snowolf,

My Burton Air is directional and I have my bindings offset, and it also has a pretty stiff flex. It cruises floats very well on the east coast. You said it is an all-mountain board, but will it be adequate enough for hitting some bowls in deep pow and maybe trying some trees out west??? This will be the only time I go out west this season, and I'll be mainly on east coast ice like kyouness said. Do you guys think it would be wise just to use my Air out west and get a park board with some freestyle aspects for ground tricks and hitting the parks over here (but still able to cruise the east coast mountains)? I'm trying to expand my quiver a bit so I can hit the park, do some ground tricks, and if I need to switch to my Burton and hit the mountain hard.

Thanks again for your responses everyone. I could use some more opinions as well!

Mahalo
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
enjoytheslide

Any advice would be awesome guys!

Mahalo!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
enjoytheslide

bump bump bump

Last edited by enjoytheslide; 12-02-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
enjoytheslide

Snowolf,

My Burton Air is directional and I have my bindings offset, and it also has a pretty stiff flex. It cruises floats very well on the east coast. You said it is an all-mountain board, but will it be adequate enough for hitting some bowls in deep pow and maybe trying some trees out west??? This will be the only time I go out west this season, and I'll be mainly on east coast ice like kyouness said. Do you guys think it would be wise just to use my Air out west and get a park board with some freestyle aspects for ground tricks and hitting the parks over here (but still able to cruise the east coast mountains)? I'm trying to expand my quiver a bit so I can hit the park, do some ground tricks, and if I need to switch to my Burton and hit the mountain hard.

Thanks again for your responses everyone. I could use some more opinions as well!

Mahalo